Just joined - Thanks and a couple ?'s

Hi everyone, been reading threads here for the past hour and am finding a wealth of useful info. So far, I've had the 720 out of the box for a little more than a day so I'm about as green as can be. Of course I will continue to read but I do have a couple questions...

I am able to use the headphone out to route mp3's to my car audio system, but the directions only come out of the 720 speakers... any way to mute the internal speakers when the audio out is being used? Also, I'm finding that the 720 is not speaking road names... do I have to use a certain voice for text-to-speech to work?

This is my 3rd gps (had a mio 310x and a navigon 2100t) but this is by far the most advanced one. I've replaced the others for various reasons, but the main goal in getting this was a more useable mp3 player and better directions that the MIO was weak in. A bigger screen and bluetooth were important also, so I'm pleased to have these features. If I can get VR to work, that will be a huge bonus! But one step at a time....

Thanks to the contributors and mods!

Welcome.

Make sure you've made a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not TTHome. Ensure you have Windows set to show hidden files and extensions for known file types.

For the speaking of street names: you need a computer voice selected AND in Preferences-->Voice Preferences, you have to have the selection to speak street names checked.

By default, there are 4 English speaking computer voices, 2 male and 2 female, one each from UK and US. Likely not all (if any) are installed on your unit (space issue). If you want to add a computer voice, power up TTHome--Add Maps/Voices--arrow right 2 screens--Computer Voices and you'll see the ones listed there. Select the one you want and choose 'install.

Thanks dhn! I'll give that a go and see if I can get text to speech working properly. I'll have to keep looking to see if I can get the driving directions to come out of the headphone jack; I'm sure there's a way, but I'm just missing something simple...

In Change Preferences->Speaker Preferences, you should be able to select where to route the Voice Prompts. Once you change the speaker routing here the internal speaker would be silenced. I have tried using the FM Transmitter this way and it worked.

Go to speaker preferences. Make sure u have all menu options enabled. select the Line out speaker option for both instructions and music so u may have the instructions play on ur headphones.

If u would like ur unit to play only the music and no voice instructions while u have a route, just go to the preference menu and select the voice options. Then select 'disable voice' and u will only hear the music.

Ask a Question