Just got XXL 540 with lifetime updates, error while selecting the map "cannot use"

Just got XXL 540 with lifetime updates, laptop went into stanby while maps were installing. Now when I select maps, I get error message : "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-261" and when I try to re-install, I get error message that device doesn't have enough memory. Please help, I searched and tried to fix it the whole day. Thank you!

Just got XXL 540 with lifetime updates, laptop went into stanby while maps were installing. Now when I select maps, I get error message : "You cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-261" and when I try to re-install, I get error message that device doesn't have enough memory. Please help, I searched and tried to fix it the whole day. Thank you!

If you were updating the map when this happened, then the downloaded map should be found here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

If you see it there, then make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents. Here's how:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then install the downloaded map without using Home. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

I just got the 335 xl, and the same error message came up, and then when i tried to download the map, *updated* etc....it said, not enough space for the map.

ugh.

This is all new, I know I posted info in the new member forum but figured more ppl could help here.

I erased the downloaded map cause I thought I could just re-download it, and get rid of the error.

I am ready to bring the thing back to target, what a waste.

Ryan

Thank you all for your help!!

Thank you all for your help!!!

It's XXL 540TM. I'll try your suggestions, hopefully with success :)

Opps, I didn't back up the maps. I got the unit and maps were outdated -- it came with lifetime free updates. I had done this with Garmin without back-ups and never had any problems. Is there any way to download the map that came with the unit? Or should I just exchange it?

Ask a Question