Just got a tomtom one but i miss two features

Hi all,

I had a garmin i5 and it did its job for a long time but it was starting to get outdated and its 80 bucks to update the map with yearly map pack so that 80 went to getting me a tomtom

anyway

the two features that i miss from the i5 (and hopefully i am just to n00b to find) are

1) the unit would turn on and off when the usb power was applied and taken away that way i didnt have to think about it when i started up the car or turned the car off to run in to get something real quick

2) at a certian time at night or in the morning it would automaticly siwitch to the day or night map this was very helpfull since it seems like you have to do a lot of clicking around to get to night map in the tom tom 0ne

bonus. I like the idea of the traffic montor antenna does anyoen have any plans to dyi that type of sutff.?

1. There is no auto-off feature in the one, and as far as I know, there is no customization or 3rd-party app that will create the auto-off feature. This feature would have to be written into the firmware.

2. There are two 3rd-party applications that will automatically switch from the day map to the night map and vice-verca. One is called "Suntime", the other is "Daylight V2.x" You can find links to both of them here. http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/3rd_party.html I simply customized the menu so I don't have to go so deep to find the "switch to night map" icon. Three taps and its done.

Hope this helps!

1. There is no auto-off feature in the one, and as far as I know, there is no customization or 3rd-party app that will create the auto-off feature. This feature would have to be written into the firmware.
This is tru for the ONE 3rd Edition. If you have a ONE LE (also called ONE New Edition or ONE V4) this option does exist in the menu.

2. There are two 3rd-party applications that will automatically switch from the day map to the night map and vice-verca. One is called "Suntime", the other is "Daylight V2.x" You can find links to both of them here. http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/3rd_party.html I simply customized the menu so I don't have to go so deep to find the "switch to night map" icon. Three taps and its done.

Hope this helps!
Glad my webpage could help :D

Hope this helps!

did you get the daylight v2x to work i must be doing something wrong. it never shows up in my tomtom home anywhere.

This is tru for the ONE 3rd Edition. If you have a ONE LE (also called ONE New Edition or ONE V4) this option does exist in the menu.

Glad my webpage could help :D

Hope you don't mind the plug. :cool: I learned a lot from your site.

~Chris

@birdman

what do you write your apps in. I do c# programing and i saw a folder called Scripts im just curious how to start programing form tomtom

Does anyone know if there is a dyi traffic montior antenna?

Thanks

did you get the daylight v2x to work i must be doing something wrong. it never shows up in my tomtom home anywhere.

Never used it as I use the Suntime program, but I do know you need the "Execution Helper" program on that webpage (i note that in parenthesis on my webpage)...

Here is the link to the execution helper program:
http://gps.dg4sfw.de/index.php/menuid=34

Absolutely NOT! That is why it exists....if it helps just one person then it has performed its job.

Im a little lost i downloaded the daylightv2_1.zip but the site and teh zip do not have any instructions on how to acutall install the app

Thanks for the link

I have no installed it and i see the icon on the menu but when i click on the new icon it just takes me back to the main nav screen?

Thanks for the link

I have no installed it and i see the icon on the menu but when i click on the new icon it just takes me back to the main nav screen?

Yup...and it now running in the background. You'll see the schemes change in the morning an evening. Unfortunately, you cannot set the time they change, but they are pretty close to dawn an dusk.

does it autostart? or do i have to hit the button each time

also just out of curosity it looks like these are writen in perl

would it be possible to read where it says battery and chargeing and use that to autoshutdown?

Last edited:
does it autostart? or do i have to hit the button each time

also just out of curosity it looks like these are writen in perl

would it be possible to read where it says battery and chargeing and use that to autoshutdown?

Yup...it will autostart.

NOTE: If you turn the TomTom off at night, and it is using the night scheme, when you first turn it on next time, it'll startup in the night scheme....Assuming you are now using it in the daytime, however, after 60 seconds (this duration is an option you can change when you tap the icon) it'll switch to the day scheme

ALSO NOTE: Make sure your time zone is set correctly or the day/night switching times will be off. I live in the Eastern Time Zone, so I need to choose GMT -5

I believe these are written in perl and you'd have to ask the author if there is any method he found to access the charging status. It has to be possible because TomTom has software to do this, but I personally don't know (nor have I found in my research) a way to do this.

Yup...and it now running in the background. You'll see the schemes change in the morning an evening. Unfortunately, you cannot set the time they change, but they are pretty close to dawn an dusk.

where in my tomtom when its connected to cpu is the line i have to change to rider2 i have looked everywhere and i cannot find the configtxt file :confused:

Did you follow my instructions in Q13 on the following page?:
>>> TomTom FAQ <<<

yes sir i got the suntime installed on my tomtom and have the garbled screen now i exited the application per the instructions now i have the tomtom hooked back to the computer and i am looking for the text file to edit to clear the screen but i cannot find it anywhere can you tell me where to look inside my tomtom.:confused:

this what i see inside my tomtom

screenshotjpg.jpg

Ask a Question