I've screwed up update

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
My GO720 died so I've bought an XL 1QR. I connected to PC and changed registration to new model. As I had paid for 18 months updates on the 720 I was offered updates to maps which I tried to install. Despite update screen anticipating 338 MB spare space after the download, it stopped installing saying that I was 95gB short of space, but there is nothing I can delete to make more than about 12gB space, and that's after removing all voices.

I had made the mistake of deleting the existing map before I started to download the update, though it is saved to the PC, but as I didn't do a back up, I can't see how to reinstall it. I think I'm stuffed - or am I.

Any help for a not very competent PC user would be appreciated

If you have the map saved on the computer, it may be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice

If so, it can be copied back using Explorer.........

Thanks but...I really am not very competent.

I've found about 100 TOC and Zip files, all dated 31st August, and I've no idea how to sort out which is which, and even if I did I'm unclear how to upload to my device.

Please point me in the direction of a kiddies guide to computing, or something similar

In your first post, you say "[the map] is saved to the pc"

Well, how do you know that? From where are you getting that information?

Let's start there..........

Since the 850 map I had to get a new HDD and install items over again.
Just checking I find the zipped 855 map at
C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\North_America

Because when I (mistakenly) made space for the map update the option given was to save to computer, or words to that effect. Also there is a file named TomTom Map patches in folder C:\Documents and settings\Bob\Local settings\Temp dated the day I did the action and as it's 7813 kB in size, I'm guessing it's in there somewhere.

Thanks for your patience.

7 gigs in size???!!

Any way to see the contents of that file?
No kidding! A map patch file is only 350KB on a big day. Wonder what on earth he got?

7.62 MB, that's what it says. I tried to view it and my PC went into melt down and I had to reboot. So, I've no idea what's in it.

I think I'll return to vendor and plead insanity.

Thanks for your efforts, folks.

Ask a Question