Itinerary questions

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540AUS
Just bought my first TomTom yesterday (XXL540) and am impressed by it and particularly by its manual which is unusually good..

However there are two basic questions I can't, so far, find the answers to.

1. The manual tells me that when I follow an itinerary, I will be navigated to the first Waypoint or Destination. OK, I arrive there, what do I do then to get to the next destination in that itinerary? I had thought once I started again it would automatically take me to the next destination but that doesn't seem to be the case in a test drive I tried.

2. Is it possible to check the estimated arrival time at the final destination while still in the early stages of the itinerary?

Would appreciate any help...

Max

As I recall, the estimated arrival time will be to the next destination. So let's say you have planned an itinerary with a final destination and 9 waypoints. When you start out it will show you the estimated arrival time at point 10, your final destination. If, however, you set point 5 to a destination rather than a waypoint, it will show you the estimated arrival time at point 5 and you will not be able to see the estimated arrival time at your final destination, point ten, until after you have passed point 5. Make sense?

I should have noted that it is possible for you to plan an itinerary with a waypoint that you never quite get to. The waypoints and destinations are lattitude and longitude combinations. If you don't come within some prescribed number of feet of that precise spot, your TomTom will not recognize that you have visited that waypoint. When you have passed it the unit will try to navigate you back to it. The solution is to go into itinerary planning and mark that waypoint as visited.

Thank you Tukatz...so, if you are planning a long day trip, and plan to stop at a number of places en route, then it would work better if I made them waypoints instead of destinations? That way I could see the estimated arrival time throughout the journey.

I guess I have been following the manual which says:

"An Itinerary can include the following items:
? Destination - a location on your journey where you want to stop.
? Waypoint - a location on your journey where you want to travel through without stopping."

So if we plan a meal break say, the manual would say to use a destination, not a waypoint. I think that is what is confusing me.

And...after reaching a waypoint or destination, should the navigation just continue to the next point or do I have to do something to restart it?

Really appreciate your help.

Max

A meal break would not require a destination. After eating, just carry on to to the next waypoint on the way to the ultimate destination.

It would be like navigating to a specific location and stopping on route to go to a restaurant. When you get back in the car, you just carry on to the destination.

"An Itinerary can include the following items:
? Destination - a location on your journey where you want to stop.
? Waypoint - a location on your journey where you want to travel through without stopping."

So if we plan a meal break say, the manual would say to use a destination, not a waypoint.
Unless it is a specific place where you planned to stop, dhn gave you the answer. Otherwise make it a waypoint.

My interpretation of itinerary terminology is
Destination
is the final end point of the journey. If it is the starting point, like home, select one at least 10 metres apart.
Waypoint
any location along the route where TomTom must go through before getting to the next one.

Has anyone ever seen a definitive statement of how close the TT must be to believe it has achieved a waypoint? That's something I've always wondered.

FWIW, if you don't see the current waypoint cleared, you can always just delete it and the TT will ask if you want to move along to the next one on the list.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all that...I guess I was taking the manual too rigidly. Waypoints are best during the journey with just one final destination. Thank you all.

Max :)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all that...I guess I was taking the manual too rigidly. Waypoints are best during the journey with just one final destination. Thank you all.

Max :)

I don't have my unit with me right now so I can't check myself but if you hit the options button on the itinerary screen can't you mark a waypoint or destination as visited and then proceed to the next?

Yes, you can although presumably if I get to the waypoint I don't need to do that. What was important to me was the estimated arrival time at the final destination (a ferry departure) - if I used destinations instead of waypoints then I didn't have that displayed until after the second last destination...if you get what I mean!

Max ;)

Ask a Question