itinerary, in order of distance?

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
can u sort your itinerary so that its in distance order, ie closest then getting further away? had a look but i canat see how to do it (if it can be done)

tia

Tia -- the TomTom isn't that sophisticated, it can only figure out the driving directions between points on your route, it can't tell you what order to do them in.

You would be better off using http://maps.google.com and entering your stops in there and clicking and dragging them to organize them and then enter them as an itinerary into the TomTom.

Even Google Maps won't tell you what the best order is...

As "Genius of Love" stated, you' best bet is maps.google.com.

Had to resort to this method for my brother and his work TomTom. :-(

no matter what I do when setting up an itinerary through google maps, my unit will always ignore it and set it's own routing according to fastest, shortest, avoid freeways etc.

I've never been able to get the tomtom to follow an itinerary exactly as I've set it up.

Tomtom needs an extra function such as "follow itinerary" IMHO!

no matter what I do when setting up an itinerary through google maps, my unit will always ignore it and set it's own routing according to fastest, shortest, avoid freeways etc.

I've never been able to get the tomtom to follow an itinerary exactly as I've set it up.

I'm on shaky grounds here since I've never tried it but I seem to remember somebody saying if you put enough waypoints in the google map, the itinerary created will 'stick' when imported into TT.

yes, I tried that just yesterday. didn't make any difference. the tomtom has a mind of it's own regarding routing and an itinerary. They need to have an option to follow itinerary and completely avoid the standard routing options. maybe that would work. :D

yes, I tried that just yesterday. didn't make any difference. the tomtom has a mind of it's own regarding routing and an itinerary. They need to have an option to follow itinerary and completely avoid the standard routing options. maybe that would work. :D

Well, Birdman is an expert on all this sort of stuff. When next he pops in, perhaps he can give some insight into the problem....or just pm him.

To get back to the first question, when you create an itinerary, you can manually move the waypoints up or down the list. So you can do the order the way you want it.

As for the differences between the Google routings and what the TomTom actually does, the problem lies in how the TomTom calculates getting from one waypoint to the next. You can force it to do as you wish by adding more waypoints. I would suggest 'Point on map', zooming in really close and using a stylus to place the point (not a stubby finger).

That's not right - the Tomtom should still follow the exact same SEQUENCE of waypoints to the final destination, i.e. if you had WayPoint#1, Waypoint#2, Waypoint#3, and Final Destination#4 in google maps, then when you import that itinerary into the TT, it should show the identical Itinerary sequence.

The only difference is that the TT will calculate the route THROUGH those waypoints in perhaps a different manner (it may not take the exact same roads to each waypoint, but you will still go through Waypoint #1 before Waypoint #2, etc, etc.

Obviously the more waypoints you specify, the more chance you have of the TomTom following your preferred route, but this also depends on the routing preference you set, such as shortest distance, fastest time, walking, etc.
I'd suggest fastest time, and enough waypoints that the TT will not try to go back on a route to some other way, between waypoints.

That's not right - the Tomtom should still follow the exact same SEQUENCE of waypoints to the final destination, i.e. if you had WayPoint#1, Waypoint#2, Waypoint#3, and Final Destination#4 in google maps, then when you import that itinerary into the TT, it should show the identical Itinerary sequence.

The only difference is that the TT will calculate the route THROUGH those waypoints in perhaps a different manner (it may not take the exact same roads to each waypoint, but you will still go through Waypoint #1 before Waypoint #2, etc, etc.

Obviously the more waypoints you specify, the more chance you have of the TomTom following your preferred route, but this also depends on the routing preference you set, such as shortest distance, fastest time, walking, etc.
I'd suggest fastest time, and enough waypoints that the TT will not try to go back on a route to some other way, between waypoints.

I second the above statement. If you created the itinerary appropriately, with a sequence of waypoints, the TomTom should route in the same order as the itinerary.

=====================

I have this same problem as you "flyer1024" the only way I can lick this problem is to go on google maps and drag the places that I want on the map example If I want to go say to (Port Rawon) and then (Port Bruce) and finish to (Long Point), then when I download it on my TommTom I will go and do it manually as first tell it to go to Port Rawan the short way then when I get there , I will tell tomtom to go next to Port Bruce, and so on and on and on

This is exactly right. The TomTom will go through the sequence of waypoints exactly as you set them up in Google. However, it may ROUTE from waypoint to waypoint differently than Google does, especially depending on the preference you set (shortest, fastest, etc). The way around this is to put a greater number of waypoints at the exact intersections you want the route to follow and check "shortest route". I just created an itinerary using TYRE/Google for a group motorcycle trip this weekend. We wanted to follow some very specific roads, so I made sure that the itinerary contained enough waypoints that the TomTom will be forced to route where I want it. Worked for me.:cool:

This is exactly right. The TomTom will go through the sequence of waypoints exactly as you set them up in Google. However, it may ROUTE from waypoint to waypoint differently than Google does, especially depending on the preference you set (shortest, fastest, etc). The way around this is to put a greater number of waypoints at the exact intersections you want the route to follow and check "shortest route". I just created an itinerary using TYRE/Google for a group motorcycle trip this weekend. We wanted to follow some very specific roads, so I made sure that the itinerary contained enough waypoints that the TomTom will be forced to route where I want it. Worked for me.:cool:

Very good point and coming at it from an angle I didn't think of. The routing engines on Google vs. the routing engine on the TomTom are NOT the exact same code, so there will most likely be discrepencies.

Ask a Question