Issues/problems with map 915

It seems that for older models using Home 2, the user MUST first upgrade to Home version 2.9.6.3196. Thanks to mod mvl for determining that.

In Home, Tools-->About HOME to determine your version and, as well, in Home, Tools-->Check for Home Update.

I'm wondering if this impacts all Nav2 units or only those 'older' older models requiring zoned maps due to memory limitations? I'm presently on 2.9.5.3093 on one machine, and 915 is being offered for both my USA/Canada and European maps. I'm running a GO740 which (thus far) has no zoned maps.

Guess we'll know soon enough. I'm downloading the USA/Canada map now.

To confirm, unzoned maps USA/Canada and W. Europe successfully moved to GO740 (have a uSD card to accommodate the additional map) using Home version 2.9.5.3093.

I think the error was rectified according to a TT contact a few hours ago, Chris.

No, it would be nigh on impossible to list all additions/corrections/modifications made from one map release to another.

Remember, corrections can be reported at tomtom.com/mapshare/tools. That, at least, gets changes into the 'pipeline' for a future map relase (6 to 9 months from current) when verified.

So after my map update, my tomtom keeps on rebooting. Try coping the mapsetting file to new map, and run "Operate my device" but tomtom Home crash.
Any thought?

In the emulator with the device attached, add a dummy favourite. Then disconnect properly from Home using the device disconnect icon.

Also, make sure you have the latest Home application.

Home's-->Tools-->Check for updates.

I did, but the Tomtom Home crash after starting the emulator
And I found the problem. It was a bad map installation.
Seems like tomtom home didn't install the map correctly for the first time.
I have to remove everything from the SD card and reinstall the map, and it solves the problem

I used TomTom Home when I had my GO 920. When I bought my VIA 1535TM I was automatically assigned to MyTomTom. What are the main differences between the two apps and why would a company have two different applications for its products operating simultaneously?
Just curious...

The newer devices no longer appear to your PC as an external storage device (like a thumb drive). They appear as network devices (mini servers). So as you can imagine, the original Home software has no way of communicating with these newer devices.

So the correct question would be why TomTom chose to create devices that look like little mini-servers instead of external storage drives. The answer to that comes in several pieces, not least of which is that Microsoft held TomTom hostage for using the FAT32 file structure (why they picked on TomTom instead of any other Linux based FAT32 user, we don't really know). TomTom had also had quite a lot of map piracy going on applied to hacked firmware that they wished to put an end to. Somewhere in all of that, we wound up with devices that (in spite of the appearance given by a USB cable - there's a USB to TCP bridge driver being used) use SSL and TCP to communicate to the PC instead of the old "looks like a disk drive" approach.

Two very different looking devices required two very different programs to communicate to them.

Downside: we get no access to the file system, making 3rd party apps and similar tweaks impossible since TomTom has produced no SDK (or even an API) for these units.
Upside: if your device blows up, TomTom keeps your maps 'on file' on the TomTom server. In the old days, if your maps blew up or you lost them somehow, you'd better have had your own backup.

Thank you, canderson, for your quick and detailed explanation. Now I see the reasons plus the upside and the downside... Like in almost everything else, it's kind of a give and take situation. At least I know that my maps are available for download should a problem occur with them.

Speaking of maps... I bought my Via 1535TM with the North America map. Later on I purchased the map for Iberia. Just to be sure, are they both on the TomTom server or just the one that came with the machine? And what about my settings, Favorites and the like? Are they also available from the TomTom servers or do I have to keep these safe at my side?

Thanks again for your help.

On the 1535, the favourites are stored in a favourites ov2 file just like any custom poi files and unlike on older Nav 2 devices where the favourites were kept in the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder.

And, on the 1535, when you are connected to the computer and MyTT is running, the desktop has a link for 'add community content'. It is there (in the new screen that shows up) that you can copy your favourites from the 1535 to the computer (and, if necessary) retrieve them into the device at a later date.

Hi dhn, I connected my 1535 and logged in, I even downloaded some updates but, unfortunately, I seem unable to find that "add community content" link you mentioned. How exactly do I get to it?
Thanks in advance for your help.

EDITED to add that I just found the location of the link. I copied the two files named "Favorites.ov2" and "Frequent_destinations.ov2" to my computer. There's just one detail: The Favorites file shows file size as 4 KB and the Frequent destinations file size as 3 KB. But in the PC they show their sizes as, respectively, 5 KB and 1 KB. Now, this difference in the file size doesn't seem to make much sense, particularly in the case of the Frequent destinations file, does it?

Last edited:
When MyTomTom is running on your PC, you should see an icon for it down in the system tray (the section at the bottom right of your desktop, next to the PC clock).
Left (or right) click on that icon and you should get a pop-up menu.

MyTT_Add_Community_Content.jpg

(That's an older version, you also get an "Exit" option now)

"MyTomTom" will open a browser window (like you've probably already seen as they will often open up automatically)
"Add community content" should be next, but it will be greyed out if you don't have a TomTom unit connected to the PC (and switched on!) at the time.

If you click on "Add community content" you should get something like this...

MyTT_Add_Community_Content_all.jpg

Anything to do with POIs (i.e. the icon files and any specific warnings sounds as well as the .ov2 POI data file itself), can be added in the first section.

You can also see the Favourites are now stored there as a standard .ov2 file which you can copy to your computer for backup.

Last edited:
Andy here again....;)

If they both work when you copy them back to the device, I shouldn't worry too much about the differences in reported file sizes. I've never really understood the mysteries of Windows file-size definitions and MyTT probably does it a different way.

Ask a Question