Issue when first plugging TT1 LE into USB

I was just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue, and if not what others have done to solve it.

I plug it into the USB and click yes to connect to my computer. It connects and I get a message from Windows Vista stating that the device is corrupted and have two options. 1) Have windows fix the issue 2) Ignore.

I've received this message since the very first time I connected it.

I have been choosing Ignore and the device works fine. I can do everything, update, etc without any issues. It acts perfectly normal. So I'm wondering why Vista would say it's corrupted. And I'm afraid if I click fix, it'll mess up the unit or format it all. I do have a backup made now, but still.

I can ignore it always and I guess it would be ok, but it is a little annoying.

boomster,

I have a TT1LE and have Win XP, I have not encountered this problem, TT Home & the TT1LE seems to work fine on XP. My guess would be that it is a Vista specific issue.

Good luck!

Gus

I'd put money on the problem being with Vista. I've only got one Vista machine in my house and don't use it so I cannot help too much.

I'd chance to bet it's either:

1. Vista doesn't recognize the device as a "Valid" electronic device (drivers)
2. The fact that the volume on the TomTom is FAT and not Fat32 or NTFS.

Thank you! I was thinking it could be because of the memory being FAT as well. I'm sure Vista wants to update it to a newer system.

I guess I'll just ignore it since I don't know what it would do if I try to fix.

I appreciate your responces :)

My TT1LE does the same thing in Vista. I clicked scan and fix just to see what happens. Vista scanned the TT1LE and says everything is OK and didn't make any changes. The strange thing is that I still get the error message every time it's connected.

Actually, the TT volume is formatted as FAT32. That is normal and is not the cause of the problem. AFAIK, TT stopped using FAT a long time ago.

I think that the problem you are having is related to the .chk files on the device. Windows (including XP) incorrectly recognises these as corrupted or recovered file fragments. Don't remove them. I would not allow Vista to try and fix them.

If you haven't already done so, make a complete backup!!

Thanks guys for the info.

Yes, I do use the ports directly on the computer (not filtered through a USB hub).

Least I know I'm not the only one with this issue. I was concerned for a while it could be I had a bad TomTom unit. Eventhough it acts like it should, I had concerns.

Ask a Question