Is TomTom Home worth installing?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 300
I downloaded the latest of TomTom Home for my GO 300. After installing, it downloaded an update that brought my unit from 5.440 to 6.xx.

That was cool, but it screwed up my Chinese voices. Mandarin is not Cantonese, and Cantonese is now Mandarin. Whatever... I can get around that.

I live in the USA, and it doesn't seem to have any good functions. There are some cool functions if I lived in Europe, though... but I don't.

Am I wrong? I would love some input on whether I should keep using it.

All of the Bluetooth and Traffic stuff will be useless to you. I used to have a Classic, so I found that there wasn't much there for me too. With one exception: the ability to navigate to a latitude and longitude.

This is most useful if you are trying to get to a place without an address. I have found the spot on Google Earth, noted the coordinates, punched them into the TomTom and it routes me there!

"I have found the spot on Google Earth, noted the coordinates, punched them into the TomTom and it routes me there!"

I looked on Google Earth, How do I find the coordinates on Google?

The coordinates of the cursor's position are displayed at the bottom of the map.

To enter them in the TomTom, you will have to add 'N' for the latitude and 'W' (no '-' sign) for the longitude.

I am not getting the coordinates. The reason maybe that I am using a Mac running Safari, But I have also tried using IE and do not see any coordinates. Is it the Mac or is there some setting that I am missing.

This would really help in setting up TomTom since many times we do not have an address of our destination.

I'm using v4 of Google Earth (Windows version). I searched for but couldn't find any command which turns the coordinates on and off, so it must just be there all the time showing the position of the cursor. It's on the bottom of the map to the left of where the 'Streaming' percentage is shown.

My fault, I went to Google Maps. The coordinates are on Google Earth. It seems that Google Earth is a self running program and not dependent on the internet once it is installed. This will work great, if true, to find locations while we travel.

Google Earth needs an internet connection to function. Each time you change locations on the map, you see the data being downloaded.

You are right I tried it out. Well I guess the thing to do is find all of the locations before we leave home. Getting online on the road is a bit spotty.

Ask a Question