is there a problem the past two days in reaching the traffic server

Tom's been acting weird the last two days. Every time I ask for traffic, it makes me go through username and password, and then after some time tells me there is a problem with my phone, no data connection. My phone polls data sources all day just fine, the only one it hasn't reached is TomTom. But my 720 acts like I no longer have a traffic subscription, which I confirmed with my account online. It doesn't expire til July 2009.

Anyone else having problems with traffic?

I just now tried to do gas price update and had the same problem. So I guess the problem is TomTom servers in general?

Last edited:
TomTom's servers are flakey at the best of times. Unfortunately, the only suggestion I have is to try again later .... sometime :eek:

Well, if no success, perhaps a call to support at 866-486-6866 may be necessary.

Tom's been acting weird the last two days. Every time I ask for traffic, it makes me go through username and password, and then after some time tells me there is a problem with my phone, no data connection. My phone polls data sources all day just fine, the only one it hasn't reached is TomTom. But my 720 acts like I no longer have a traffic subscription, which I confirmed with my account online. It doesn't expire til July 2009.

Anyone else having problems with traffic?

I just now tried to do gas price update and had the same problem. So I guess the problem is TomTom servers in general?
To assure that you're having problems not related to your subscription, dial up the local weather. If that works, your TT/phone connection is OK.

You'd need to specify where you are since availability (or lack) of a traffic server connection is variable regionally. It could crap out here in Denver and be fine in Philadelphia. FYI: When the traffic server dies, I can always hit the weather server.

NORMALLY, the TT traffic server will simply give you a red screen noting that you are unable to connect to the server (try again). I haven't seen it forget a password. Complaints about your phone would more likely be a TT to phone issue.

So I tried to connect to Weather, with the same result. After that I flashed the phone 3 times then flashed the Go 3 times, and after all of that, everything was working.

So I tried to connect to Weather, with the same result. After that I flashed the phone 3 times then flashed the Go 3 times, and after all of that, everything was working.
Strange. Sounds as though the phone connect data in settings.dat got corrupted somehow. Good to hear that the reprogramming made it happy again.

I've only once had my 720 forget how to deal with my phone, and as it happened, it was pretty shortly after a recent backup, so I just copied the settings.dat file back over and that settled that. Much quicker than remembering the arcane (e-mail address removed) stuff. There's a whole lot of good reasons to keep a FULL backup of these units!

Thanks for the settings.dat tip. That would have been a lot easier than reflashing both units til I could get a positive response. Fortunately, I do have copies of the last 5 backups of the 720.

The funny think was, I had no indication that there was a problem with phone settings, since the 720 connected tot he phone just fine every time I turned it on, and I could still use the 720 as a handsfree.

Thanks for the settings.dat tip. That would have been a lot easier than reflashing both units til I could get a positive response. Fortunately, I do have copies of the last 5 backups of the 720.

The funny think was, I had no indication that there was a problem with phone settings, since the 720 connected tot he phone just fine every time I turned it on, and I could still use the 720 as a handsfree.
The handsfree business uses a simple Bluetooth audio profile and doesn't require all of the settings needed to get out onto the net. So while your TT could find your phone, it had forgotten how to get it to "dial" up your ISP for internet service. That's what got lost on mine, too. The pairing info was still there, but the dialup networking data was bad, if it was still there at all.

One thing about copying back settings.dat -- it's got a lot of your other preferred configuration info in it, too, and your favorites, so as a warning to others -- using an old copy can be a bit of pain.

One thing about copying back settings.dat -- it's got a lot of your other preferred configuration info in it, too, and your favorites, so as a warning to others -- using an old copy can be a bit of pain.

Favourites are stored in the file MapSetting.cfg, found in the specific map folder.

Favourites are stored in the file MapSetting.cfg, found in the specific map folder.
Sorry, quite right. The settings.dat file contains only the path information for all of the services, and also includes the phone settings for making contact. It's largely a human readable file if anyone is curious as to where all of those wireless service servers are located.

Follow Up

Some of you may be surprised, and some not, but I thought I would share what happened after I emailed TomTom Support. After 6 days I did receive a response, telling to re-enter my username and password. Of course I told them that was what the unit was asking for in the first place, which did nothing to correct the problem. Then less than one hour later, they sent another note, closing the ticket, before I could even get to their useless response. And another hour later they send me their 'how did we do' survey.

Ludicrous!

Some of you may be surprised, and some not, but I thought I would share what happened after I emailed TomTom Support. After 6 days I did receive a response, telling to re-enter my username and password. Of course I told them that was what the unit was asking for in the first place, which did nothing to correct the problem. Then less than one hour later, they sent another note, closing the ticket, before I could even get to their useless response. And another hour later they send me their 'how did we do' survey.

Ludicrous!
The only part that surprises me is that you got a response in 6 days. I've not received replies to email, although haven't tried in a year. Decided that a phone call got the job done much more quickly.

yes i been having the same problem try to talk to them and they gave me that my phone not compatible it was working fine before can anyone help:confused:

Ask a Question