is there a point to buying updated maps since we have MapShare

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL*S
ok, I just got my TT one day ago so please don't flame me if what I'm posting doesn't make sense.

I'm assuming that one time a year TT makes updated maps available for purchase. What will be the point of buying these updated maps if we can get updated maps using mapshare? As far as I understand mapshare is a free service.

Also, I've connected my TT to TT home and I haven't recieved any mapshare updates that I know of. I've set my TT to only get updates approved by TT, but surely there would be at least one update from the time my TT was made and the time I connected to HOME. Also, does getting MapShare updates change your map version number?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary to you guys but I'm new at this.

I look forward to getting good TT information from these forums.

Eric

Some mapshare functions liek missing roads don't immediately show up, thus TT will releases a yearly map upgrade.
Well then what if we just wait for the update to show up. It's not going to take a year for the mapsahre update to show up will it?

It's not pointless - it is supposed to make the new map versions more accurate. So if you input the change now, when (if) you purchase a map in the future, it will be even more correct than if you (or anyone else) didn't put in the changes.
The only issue I have is the limited ability to report those changes. One feature that would really be able to help is to be able to select just a section of road. Right now, there are several roads that have turn into a different road 1/2 way down the road, and the TT has the whole road named the old name... There is no way to report the exact area itself - you can describe it in words, mind you, but that takes a lot more time and effort. :)

But some things, as stated in the link I posted above, are updated immediately.

Does Garmin offer free maps? I heard they do but I don't know.. if so, why does TomTom even charge for maps? I respect and understand the great work involved with the map creation/updating process, but what makes Garmins' business model allow for free maps?

Last edited:
Does Garmin offer free maps? I heard they do but I don't know.. if so, why does TomTom even charge for maps? I respect and understand the great work involved with the map creation/updating process, but what makes Garmins' business model allow for free maps?

For the most part, Garmin does not provide free maps or upgrades. I'm not sure now but back when I still had mine couple of years ago, there was a free one available to me but only because I purchased the unit within a specified time frame they set that made me qualify for an update. Everything else after that update was no longer free.

-N-

Ask a Question