Is the traffic receiver worth the $??

I am ready to go buy myself a TomTom (my first foray into the GPS field) & I was curious how active users feel about the difference in models (930 v 930T for example).. Is it worth the difference in price to get the 930T as opposed to the other model or do most of you find it an extra bell & whistle that you do not use / pay attention to? (I will be spending most of my time in the CT area if that matters at all [not sure how TT works to collect traffic data there]) Thanks!

How well the traffic receiver performs (reception wise) is VERY dependant on what area you're in. To start with, you can take a look at www.realtimetraffic.net for coverage maps. I can tell you that in the New York area the coverage on the map is just shy of grossly overstated. If you happen to dig deep enough to find out what stations broadcast TMC signals in your area, don't assume that reception of their signal on your car radio is any indication that you'll get good reception with a TMC receiver. The TMC signal is broadcast at a lower power level, and has less reach than the "normal" signal.

Regardless of whether TMC looks like it should work for you or not, your other choice (at least with TomTom devices) is TomTom Traffic. If you have a compatible phone and data plan, I would recommend TomTom Traffic over TMC without hesitation - even if TMC reception is excellent in your area.

For my money, TomTom Traffic provides significantly more detail with their data, resulting in better-informed decision making when it comes to re-routing around traffic. Couple that with more broad cell phone coverage (vs spotty TMC coverage in some areas), and to me, the choice is clear.

I originally purchased a 920T, and found TMC performance in my area to be poor. I opted to return the 920T and purchase a 920, and subscribe to TomTom Traffic. Although I only used the 920T for about 2-3 weeks, I used a Garmin with TMC for over one year prior, and the difference is like night and day.

I agree that the traffic service through your phone is probably superior but is not an option for me - iPhone! So I've been using the TMC receiver first with my 920 and now my 930 and it has worked very well for me. I'm in Baltimore and it has rerouted me around beltway/interstate slowdowns on several occasions. To me it's almost similar to agonizing over what gps to get - even an inferior one is better than not having one at all. And this device has worked well enough for me that I will renew the service when that comes up.
John

flat out - NO.

maybe sometime in the future, but now - no way would I waste the money if I could do it over again. Here in Baltimore area it always shows 1 minute traffic delay. That is anywhere from 15 - 45 minute delay. Other times it shows 2 hr delays - to only have nothing been reported for the day period.

Save the money. But I would look at Garmin's traffic, that worked super.

flat out - NO.

Save the money. But I would look at Garmin's traffic, that worked super.

Many people have reported good experiences with Garmin's TMC traffic. I'm not one of them, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find many in my area who are.

If TMC is your only available option with TomTom, I would recommend spending the extra $50 or so (I think that's the current price difference between a 920 and 920T), and try it for a year - and see first-hand how well it works for YOUR situation.

Ask a Question