Is the RDS Traffic Reciever Worth it?

Hello,

I hope this isn't a bad re-post, and I didn't want to Hi-jack the thread below, but I was wondering if the RDS Traffic antenna is worth it? How many of you have it and said, "Wow... I'm glad I had this to re-route me away from that traffic"? I want to buy it, especially because I am driving to NJ from NC the day before New Years Eve so I just wanted to see if it was worth the money before I hit the road.

Thanks ,
Cameron

I like mine, but on a long trip like that you will probably only find selected pockets of coverage. I live in the far southern part of NJ and commute to work in Philadelphia. The receiver doesn't pick up a signal until I get about 20 miles East of Philly. But from there on into the city it's nice to have.

I drive half the route you are talking about.
NY to Phil on the turnpike from exit 18 to around 6 or 5 no problem.
bottom half of the pike very littel coverage
delaware in and out of coverage on 95, nothing good until you at whitemarsh
baltimore to DC pretty good
bellow DC from the merge south to Frederick, also good
frederick to richmond OK but in and out.
Richmond south to NC very littel coverage after Petersburg.

the best way is via the internet direct, very littel loss of coverage, and faster updates

I've noticed that you start getting TMC coverage somewhere between exits 2 and 3 on the NJ Turnpike and it's definitely good between exits 3 and 4.

I have one and have used it a time or two in the DFW area, and it seems ok. I haven't put it through any thorough tests yet though. Only reason I got it is because I have a Verizon Blackberry that won't work with PLUS services.

I got a TMC-RDS receiver for christmas and it dosen't work in the Atlanta area. Just got off the phone with Tomtom and they say the system has been down for "two days" (although I've heard it's been down for months) and that there is no resolution time. It'll just have to go back to Frys I guess. I'll not piss away $130.00 for nothing.

Thanks for all the help you guys! I think im just gonna wait for it and brave the trip without it this time, but i'll probably pick one up in the future.

Hello,

I hope this isn't a bad re-post, and I didn't want to Hi-jack the thread below, but I was wondering if the RDS Traffic antenna is worth it? How many of you have it and said, "Wow... I'm glad I had this to re-route me away from that traffic"? I want to buy it, especially because I am driving to NJ from NC the day before New Years Eve so I just wanted to see if it was worth the money before I hit the road.

Thanks ,
Cameron

I have not used the RDS with TOMTOM but I made the trip using it with my Navigon (same service) and it saved me ~ 3 hours due to traffic delays

You will get updates for all the major cities well in advance (Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte

I live in the Charlotte area and when I get my 720 in a few days I will try the plus service and if it is not working (due to cell phone type) I will get the RDS-TMC service as it is great. I use the GPS to go home so I can see where the worst traffic is and route around it

Ask a Question