Is overlays the only option?

I am new to GPS and Tomtom.

Got a TomTom One Third Edition for christmas.

Now its mainly for my job as the main purpose figuring it would help me find homes and businesses in my area. I was bummed to find out that a lot of the communities are not on the map, granted some are new with in 2 years, but for example where I live is at least 4+ years old, and it shows me in the middle of nothing.

So it complete defeats the purpose.
However it was a gift and im gonna be happy, so looking around I saw that TomTom has the mapshare deal and you can make corrections. Well another bummer when i saw that even if I add streets they dont show up on my Tomtom they are just forwarded to the company for review.

So thats when I researched some more and found overlays. Which will give me streets and such, but its almost the same as flipping through an old map book.

So to my question, is overlays my only option? I have done alot of research the last few days and have seen alot of mods, but none that allows you to modify the map to add streets in. I know it is probably the whole point for tom tom being able to sell you map updates but i figured id throw that out there.

Anyone have any other ideas? If I use overlays, is there a way, to say make a list of street names on a menu, that I can select a street name and it will show me the area via lat/long?

Is there a way to add them via google maps and import?

Just kinda bummed here, i was really excited about the tomtom until i saw this.

Given that tomtom and googlemaps use the same maps, and garmin and mapquest use the same maps, mapquest shows significantly more of this area than googlemaps...Anyway thanks for any help.

You can report the new streets to TomTom via mapshare but cannot physically add a road to your map. Sorry.

thats what i figured.

Now how useful would it be if I made a lot of overlays for the missing streets, and marked them with POI's?

Is there a way to search for POI's?

You could go through all the trouble of overlays and putting in POIs however the navigation system still has no way to navigate to these spots.

You can search for POIs by using the browse map function and tapping find.

Ask a Question