Is fairly new or what..7.221

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
When I turn on the unit (GO 720) the verison said it's a 7.221. Is this a newer map or a older map? I see were y'all talk about 710 or 715 verison map. I just got it off ebay (new) and went to down load the newer map on Tom Tom web site, message pop up and said complete. What is the 7.221?? THANKS

7.221 is the software version. If you touch the screen in the lower righthand area (where the speed is) it'll open a window, then touch the area where you see the 7.221 version and it'll open another window that tells you what map version you are using.

Thanks Bama, did like you said, and it's a 705 map, and getting it off ebay, they (TomTom) want let me download without a retail purchest. Any big difference from a 705 up to a 710 or 715?

Thanks Bama, did like you said, and it's a 705 map, and getting it off ebay, they (TomTom) want let me download without a retail purchest. Any big difference from a 705 up to a 710 or 715?

I would assume you meant "won't" as in "will not" let you download w/o being purchased from an authorized retailer. This is usually the case when purchasing stuff from eBay. Maps v710 and v715 would obviously be newer and most likely have either new streets/names added and POIs (someone confirm?).

The main difference I noticed between v710 and v715 map, is that v715 has the following:
a) shows current vs PSL (posted speed limit)
b) when the battery is half-full, it shows orange color instead of green. I could only assume that if the battery was 1/4 full, the color would change to red, but I cannot confirm this.
c) some of the streets were updated (at least name wise), but someone has mentioned on this forum that the main update to v715 was Florida area

Hope this helps...

PS - The most likely reason why you cannot update your unit (despite being "brand new") is that 30 passed since the day of purchase (TT will give you a free map update within first 30 days of purchase). That being said, you might want to call them and say that you received it as a gift and you have not started using it until "now".... never hurts to ask...

eBay purchase

GB,

I also purchased a new 720 from eBay a few weeks ago. It too had the map 705. After reading this forum I learned there has been a 710 and 715 upgrade. If you attempt to upgrade via TTHome it will not be recognized. You need to contact TT customer service by phone. Describe your situation.

They will want to see a copy of your receipt to prove your claim. I paid with PayPal so they requested a copy of the PayPal receipt. All they want is a scan of your receipt or a screen snapshot of the same. It's not a big deal.

When you contact them, you'll get a service number. With this they'll guide you through a process where you can attach your scan to their web page inquiry. It's like sending an attachment with an eMail.

They were very helpful. They'll put the map upgrade into your account and next time you upgrade, the latest map will be available. DO THIS before your 30 day map guarantee is up. It is actually 30 days since you start using the unit. MAKE SURE YOU ESTABLISH AN ACCOUNT WITH TOMTOM THROUGH THE TTHOME SOFTWARE. This will in part let them know when you first attempted to register or do something with the unit

I would recommend not upgrading the firmware to 7.4 however. Some bugs. Do get the North America 715 map that you are entitled to.

Once you do that, return to this site and learn how to get voice recognition on the 720. IT DOES WORK!

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited:
:) Thanks Steve, I did this yesterday and TT walked me threw after the receipt was sent from PalPal. Easier than first thought, they didn't care about Ebay just the receipt. It took 2 hours to down load (7.15) but better map by far.........

Ask a Question