IQ routes maps

TomTom Model(s)
xl iq routes
Apologies if this is the incorrect group for this question, but I've purchased what is described as an "IQ Routes Europe Edition" for use on an upcoming car trip to Europe on ebay. No manual was included.

However when I use it locally from my home in the US, US maps appear. This makes me think it is not the Europe edition.

How can I verify what edition this is, and what maps are installed?

Thanks,

Jim

A couple of ways:
1. Look at the contents of the unit using Explorer (or Finder if you have a mac). Do you see a folder called something like USA_Canada? Now then, do you see one called something like Europe?
2. On the unit, Manage Maps-->Switch maps. Is there also a Europe map listed?

If the answer to both questions is 'no', then you don't have Europe on the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

The European maps don't show up on manage maps -> switch maps, and no USB cable came with this unit.

I tried connecting to both a Mac and a PC using a USB cable that I use for my camera, but neither recognized the device. Is a special cable needed?

Thanks again,

Jim

Where did you purchase it from? Someplace like ebay? :rolleyes:

Supposedly, any normal usb cable probably should have worked.

One thing to try....reset the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. Then connect to the computer (try the pc) and see if the computer 'sees' it as a removable drive.

You are indeed a genius, someplace just like ebay.

Anyway, no luck on holding the power button down for 10s and trying again (but I heard no drum).

I see on the side that this a TomTom 310 XL Canada. Does this have 2GB internal memory? If so, is that enough for both US and Europe maps?

Thx agin.

Anyway, no luck on holding the power button down for 10s and trying again (but I heard no drum).
My personal experience is that it takes about 20 seconds before I get the "drum-beat" reboot.

It may be that different models take different times, but regardless of the time it takes, you should see and hear it happen. The dark screen will display the TomTom logo and there will be a very audible sound similar to a "drum-beat". If you did not get that result, try again and keep the power button depressed until it occurs. That may or may not solve your problem, but it does do so on many occasions.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Yup.. hold that power button for a good 20 seconds (but release it as soon as you hear the drum roll). It's actually quite hard to keep those fiddly TomTom buttons held down for 20 secs without twitching, and if you twitch it doesn't work.

I see on the side that this a TomTom 310 XL Canada

Ignore the "Canada", that does NOT mean it is a Canadian unit, just that it has passed the radio emission regulations for Canada (I bet it actually says "Canada 310" 'cos that's the specific test requirement).

Does this have 2GB internal memory? If so, is that enough for both US and Europe maps?
The best way to tell your exact model is to enter the first two characters of your serial number (the one on the barcode label) into the tool on TomTom's website here.

A 2GB model will NOT hold both US and Europe maps at the same time. In fact, a 2GB model cannot even fit just the whole of the Europe map any more. You have to opt for one of the European "Zoned" maps - East, West, North, South or Central.

Thanks for all your help. Holding the button down for about 20s did result in the drum-beat and reboot, and after that I was able to connect to my PC. I see the US map, bu no european one.

Thx agin.

Jim

Ask a Question