iQ Routes and Traffic Updates while Driving

Hello,

I have a new 740 LIVE and I'm wondering about how iQ routes and live traffic updates work. If I begin a long (2 hour+ route), does the TomTom recalculate the best iQ route as I drive (and as the time of day changes)? Do I need to manually recalculate the route every once in a while?

Same question for traffic updates - will it automatically re-check the traffic conditions as I drive? If so, how often?

Thanks!!

-Brian

IQ routing is based upon historical driving data, not live information. On the other hand, Live traffic reports on current situations according to the data it has and tries to route you accordingly.

I have a new 740 LIVE and I'm wondering about how iQ routes and live traffic updates work. If I begin a long (2 hour+ route), does the TomTom recalculate the best iQ route as I drive (and as the time of day changes)? Do I need to manually recalculate the route every once in a while?

IQroutes will calculate a route based on the expected traffic on the road when it expects you to get there, so there's no need to recalculate every now and then. If you stop for more than 5 minutes, the Tomtom will recalculate your route automatically since the best route may have changed.

LIVE traffic will automatically recalculate whenever the traffic on your route changes. However, there is a bug in the algorithm - if your detour has no traffic, then the original route is never rechecked to see if it cleared. So if you are on a traffic-less detour you should manually recalculate every few minutes.

My 340s has asked if I wish to select another alternative route saving 20 minutes. This popped up in the middle of a 6hr drive. So yes depending on time of day, the historical travel data does kick in and the TT does constantly monitor its historical data while you drive. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Ask a Question