IQ Routes 24x7 Experiences?

I have an XL 330 (pre IQ routes) and a co worker has the 340 (with IQ routes and ALG). The difference is worth the expense if you are looking to buy (its like 20 bucks or so and the 340 has 2 gig internal memory vs the 1 gig the 330 has). Its almost worth the expense to upgrade.

Can someone explain or point me towards information on the routing engines each TomTom device uses? I like the features of the GO models however I dont like the expense, I'd just as soon get a XL 340 (I dont have bluetooth or need for FM transmitter and while the 740 Live features are nice, its twice the price). However, if the routing engines are significantly better (not using Live features) then it might be worth it too look into a 630 or better...

Last edited:
I upgraded my One 130S to a One 140S with IQ routes. The routing was significantly improved. It is well worth the upgrade just for that. In addition, you get advanced lane guidance, reality view, and a greatly enlarged POI database. This is an unbelievable bargain.

If you have no need of bluetooth or traffic, there is no need to purchase anything other than these latest One models. Even traffic can be added to the Ones, if need be.

I mostly agree that from a core navigation standpoint, you really can't beat the XL 340.
- IQroutes puts tomtom a class above any other navigation brand is terms of directions.
- The 340 has the full POI set that was previously only available on the GO 9xx series
- The USA/Canada/Mexico map is better than anything else in North America, even better than the "North America" map on the 9xx series that only covers USA/Canada

Most of the bells & whistles (eg: bluetooth handsfree, MP3 player) on the higher-end tomtom models are available with much better quality on a mid-range car radio tuner.

I would disagree with traffic. The XL 340 is only compatible with the RDS-TMC receiver, which gives a reduced amount of traffic info (only what the local radio station knows about). The LIVE/PLUS traffic available on the tomtom GOs include info from highway sensors and info relayed from fleet vehicles.

My 2 cents worth. Since getting the 740 I've not had one single route that's been changed by traffic. It's importance is overblown IMO.

I've been getting "no info available" so far today. Figured you were back.

EDIT: Gotcha now.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth. Since getting the 740 I've not had one single route that's been changed by traffic. It's importance is overblown IMO.

Obviously this effected by where you are driving. But using the traffic receiver with my XL 330 I get re routed once a day because of traffic.

I live near Baltimore MD and Wash. DC so there is plenty of traffic.

However I rarely get caught in traffic on the highways because of it. I think it was a worthwhile investment...

Yes, I'd agree I need to qualify my answer a little. In most areas of the country traffic reporting adds very little to navigation on IQ2 devices. But for those in a very compact and congested metro area, for example Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, users probably will get enough benefit to warrant consideration of a paid traffic subscription. Still, for the rest of us, it seldom results in a route change from my observations.

I normally don't use the PLUS-covered roads in my daily commute in Boston. In the 5 times I've gone somewhere different and it was covered by a PLUS road in rush hour, Tomtom rerouted me twice (and properly). LIVE traffic covers 10x as many roads as PLUS in Boston, including 50% of my commute, so I'm assuming LIVE traffic will reroute me more often.

Unfortunately, I have to ignore my Tomtom for most of rush hour because the IQroutes <10mph bug causes directions that would waste 15-30 minutes a day for me. The only reason I keep the Tomtom on in rush hour is to submit more anonymous data in the hopes that it improves IQ2 in the future. So much wasted potential...

Excluding rush hour, IQ routes works very very well, teaching me many new roads and shortcuts that I didn't know of for the past 20 years driving in Boston.

Last edited:
I was thinking today. It would be relatively difficult to remove the 10 mph bug.

I make frequent stops during the day and will stop at someones house and not move for 1+ hours. I leave the tomtom on. If that bug wasnt in place (and I had IQ routes) the device could potentially think I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours on said road.

There would need to be away to determine stuck in traffic versus intentionally parked.

It would get even more difficult if a delivery person was using a Tomtom with IQR because it would be stop and go all day. How would you compensate for that? It would be virtually impossible to differentiate that between traffic.

It would SEEM to me. The BEST solution is to leave it the way it is. And if traffic is an issue for you and/or your area then having a traffic receiver of some sort should be a priority.

Like I mentioned my RDS-TMC traffic receiver works impressively well. I never get stuck in traffic anymore unless I dont heed its advice. However the problem with it is that it covers the main roads, so it can potentially put me into another traffic jam while avoiding the one of the highway...

And in any case its much better then using paper maps... :)

I agree, parked/delivery/walking is probably the reason for the filtering that caused the IQroutes bug. Reporting the median speed of Tomtom-sourced data (without a filter) should address that, as the vast majority of drivers wouldn't stop.

We'll see - LIVE traffic doesn't report this congestion and Yahoo Trafficcast does, so it is making me think newer base IQ data may have already fixed this. They announced new IQdata/speedprofiles in March. I'm hoping our May map has it.

Ask a Question