IQ/Lane Guidance?

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I have had my TT GO720 for about a year.

Clearly, the IQ/Lane Guidance wasn't an available feature at the time of my purchase.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but:

1) Any way to upgrade the unit? Will a new map/firmware get me there?

--- or ---

Is this a new hardware feature that I would have to buy an upgraded unit to get?

:confused:

EDIT: I have sucessfully implemented the Voice hack to allow the unit to accept voice addresses.

Yep, you can get a firmware upgrade to 8.010 (for free). You NEED this version.

Then, you can obtain (buy, I guess) a version 8.10 map for the 920.

Doing these 2 things makes your 920 into a 930 in terms of functionality. The only difference will be the black colour bezel of the 930 vs. the silver of the 920.

Once you have both updated firmware and maps, you will have IQ routing AND ALG if it is available in your area.

Excellent.....

I'll have to look into that

Do I need to copy the voice files out of the appropraite folder prior to upgrading the map? I have read here that it is possible to overwrite those files and lose the AVR if one is not careful.

BTW... thank you for your response

Do make a complete Explorer backup prior to upgrading, of course, but you should not need to copy any files for VR; everything should be in place.

However, if you have favourites created in your 920 map, they will be lost in the update. So, simply copy your MapSettings.cfg from your backed up 920 specific map folder (you may have 2, 1 for NA and 1 for Europe) to the same specific map folder in the 930 to get the favourites (and other custom settings) back.

Yep, you can get a firmware upgrade to 8.010 (for free). You NEED this version.

Then, you can obtain (buy, I guess) a version 8.10 map for the 920.

Doing these 2 things makes your 920 into a 930 in terms of functionality. The only difference will be the black colour bezel of the 930 vs. the silver of the 920.

Once you have both updated firmware and maps, you will have IQ routing AND ALG if it is available in your area.

How do I get map 810?

However, if you have favourites created in your 920 map, they will be lost in the update. So, simply copy your MapSettings.cfg from your backed up 920 specific map folder (you may have 2, 1 for NA and 1 for Europe) to the same specific map folder in the 930 to get the favourites (and other custom settings) back.[/QUOTE]

Ican not find this file on my TOM or Home or backup......
I have a 920 that I updated about a week ago ........

How do I get map 810?

With the unit docked, start TomTom Home and goto Add Maps/Voices. You'll see a map 8.10 offered for purchase IF you have firmware 8x installed. If your firmware is at 7x, you won't get offered it.

Be aware the price you see may be in British pounds.

With the unit docked, start TomTom Home and goto Add Maps/Voices. You'll see a map 8.10 offered for purchase IF you have firmware 8x installed. If your firmware is at 7x, you won't get offered it.

Be aware the price you see may be in British pounds.

When did map 8.010 come out? When I receive the unit, I don't know whether to upgrade right away in fear of a newer map will be released within my 30 day period.

No, it's FIRMWARE 8.010; it's MAP 8.10. Confusing, eh?:D

Map came out about a month ago, I think.....

dhn:

you refer to the 920 8.10 map, rather than the 720 8.10 map. Are they the same?

I checked out the map on TT.com, and it's $130... (wow) :eek: .

do the maps get cheaper with time? LOL

I have the 720 8.10 map, not the 920 8.10 map; I do not know if they are precisely the same. TT often has map sales ........ usually close to the time a new map is about to be released.

I have the 720 8.10 map, not the 920 8.10 map; I do not know if they are precisely the same. TT often has map sales ........ usually close to the time a new map is about to be released.

Makes me think of the 720 prices :( They lower them massively and then they might say "ohh uhh.. sorry no more updates for you!!!"

I read that the x40 series should be coming out?

The x40 is due soon (November?) in Britain. It has been field tested in the Netherlands, as I understand.

No word if and when the x40 will make it to North America.

The x40 is due soon (November?) in Britain. It has been field tested in the Netherlands, as I understand.

No word if and when the x40 will make it to North America.

At first I always thought "Ugh, TomTom leaves the USA for last" but I have to keep remembering that they are not a US base company, and other companies do the same. Like HONDA. In Japan and some other countries they have the Civic and Integra Type R, yet we don't get anything like that here in the states.

Anyways, did I mention that I can't wait to receive the 720 in the mail?!?! :p

Ask a Question