Iphone 4

TomTom Model(s)
740 Live (not Used), Iphone 4 with TomTom & Navigon and TomTom Car Kit (not used)
Does anyone know how the car kit will function with the Iphone 4?:( Would hate to have to buy another kit.

I suspect it won't, since the iPhone 4 is thinner and may not hold contact to the charging strip on the existing mount. Otherwise the dimensions are very similar. Now add to that the newer gps chipset potentially causing issue with the TT one and I wouldn't place bets that it's compatible. With the TT carkit so expensive I'd think it would be worth the wait till the iPhone 4 starts shipping. It will be clear within a day or two after if the current mount will work.

Thanks for getting back to me. The problem is I already have it, I have been using it for about 3 months, and it actually (in some ways) works better than my 740 live. Fix is faster, Traffic is faster and google search is faster. If only I could get it to say turn right in 1/2 mile or 500 feet, instead the final prompt is in yards. Can you please explain the chip set issue.

The current TomTom iPhone app appears to look for the specific gps chipset found in the current iPhones. It won't run on the new iPad 3G, returning an error that no gps chip was found. So it's possible the TT carkit/gps is working the same way and may not "read" as connected to an iPhone 4. Then again it may be no issue at all. Until the 4's start shipping in another few weeks, I don't think there will be any firm answer.

From TomTom:

We?re reviewing specifications of new iPhone 4 & will have an update on compatibility w our car kit soon.

Received from TomTom support on Friday 6/11

Thank you for taking time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Yolanda and we are always happy to help.

I apprehend that you wish to know whether the TomTom car kit is compatible with iPhone 4G.

I understand how important this is for you. Please be assured that I will definitely help you with this.

David, the TomTom car kit is currently available only for the regular iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S. The iPhone 4G being a newly launched product from Apple, it has not been tested yet with the TomTom car kit. Hence we regret that we will not be able to comment on its compatibility with iPhone 4G as there are some significant size differences between the two models.

We are receiving lot of requests from customers regarding the same query and we have already forwarded them to our Product Development team for further review. We take all customer feedback received very seriously in the future development of our products. Suggestions are gathered and organized to understand the areas our customers are most interested in enhancing.

Our Product Managers review all feedback to determine future enhancements and products. Many of our current products and updates offer features based on customer suggestions.

In order to be kept informed of current developments, we suggest you to subscribe to the our Newsletter. For more information, please click on the link provided below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

The TomTom Car Kit is now listed in the App Store as compatible accessory for the iPhone 4 as well.

Oskar

The TomTom Car Kit is now listed in the App Store as compatible accessory for the iPhone 4 as well.

Oskar

I see that I hope it is correct, maybe its best to wait and see if it is compatable before I go for the Iphone 4

Oskar

Well, I checked the US Apple store and the compatibility diagram for the TomTom Car Kit DOES NOT include iPhone 4!

If this issue is limited to mechanical compatibility only, suitable iPhone sleeve should provide fix.

Flash: iPhone 4 does not work with Car Kit!

Just got my new iPhone 4. It fits well in the TomTom cradle and seems to have a good bottom connection BUT:

No power to the phone.
No Bluetooth.
Car kit tool app reports: Not Docked, No GPS fix!

I am in the same boat----iPhone 4 fits PERFECTLY but does not even SEE the dock to charge?!?!?! Hope its a software issue. It would bite to shell out $$ for a new dock

Had same issue here you'll see its not pushing the connnector all the way down. On the 3GS the rubber bar pushes it down. If you put something inbetween this it makes the connection and bingo.

Would be good if they released a hardware adapter for this though as only had this 3 months!

Thanks for the input Kolenka. This helps. So the only difference is bluetooth, charger and taking time to dock the iPhone. Good think I have my Ram-Mount. My 3G ram-mount still fits my iPhone 4.

Earlier posts indicate that the dock is not compatible with the iPhone4. Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

Yes. They're now included a small wedge-shaped piece of plastic to fill the gap between the phone and dock contacts. Seems to do the trick. But with the additional gps chip (with it's added cost) in the TT mount being of no use to the iPhone 4, there are cheaper alternatives.

Ask a Question