IPhone 3GS getting "HOT" in use with TT v1.5

Hi

I'm just wondering if any other user's have noticed that the iPhone 3GS , when used with a car charger, is getting very hot when using it in the car with the Tom Tom 1.5 App?

My iPhone has an "incase" cover on it and despite this, you can feel the iPhone getting warmer and warmer through the cover the longer it is in use, almost to the point where it become "hot". At this point I end up disconnecting it from the car.

Even the 'cigar lighter' adapter gets very hot and I end up unplugging it - the charger is from Ebay so perhaps it's not a quality charger?

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 because the TomTom 1.5 app runs better on it but I'm not sure if it suffers from the same heat problems when using the TT app?

Thanks, Dave_M

Not sure that that is a TomTom issue but rather an Iphone "feature". ;) Mine gets hot if I talk for an extended period of time. I was running trapster in the car and it was getting pretty warm...

I've got my 4 in a Speck hard case.

Hi Thom

Thanks for your response.

I was not inferring that this was a Tom Tom problem; I was merely asking if any other members had noticed that the iPhone got very warm/hot when using the TomTom app on it.

But it has to be said that in normal day to day use, my iPhone 3GS does get a little warm but certainly not hot and only started getting hot when I installed the TomTom app on it.

It might be that the charger I have been using could be faulty or of inferior quality, so I will try another 'in car charger' with it.

Thanks

Dave_M

Yes, it runs hot, but so what? My iPhone does the same but hasn't yet gone into meltdown (touch wood!). I suspect the problem is due as much to the insulation provided by the holster as to the power used by TT. The heat simply has nowhere to go so it gets hotter and hotter.

If it disturbs you, get a holster with no back - several have a claw type of grip, allowing air to circulate around it. If you get one with an air vent fixing, you can blow cold air from the a/c over it. That certainly cures the problem

The car charger needs to be spec'd for 1 amp - some will only provide 0.5 amp which is insufficient.

If all else fails, simply turn down the heater!

Ask a Question