Internet predator dangers

TomTom Model(s)
720, 330S
Internet oversight cautioned
http://www.masslive.com/springfield/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-10/118414170016800.xml&coll=1

I read this article (which was a little disturbing) and wondered what some of you thought about the internet predator and online safety. I assume some of you have young children and I was wondering if you worry about what they do online and who they talk to. I don't have children, but I think that in this day in age internet safety is very important and that parents should educate their children on ways to be safer online. I also agree with the article and believe parents should monitor their young children to make sure they're practicing safer habits. If parents don't know ways to monitor their children I know there are plenty of sites out their to help. NetSmartz411.org is one I'm familiar with and I like it because parents can actually email the site if they have questions. I just think that a lot of parents may assume that their child is safe when they're online at home, and that may not always be the case. Do any of you monitor your kids or talk to them about online dangers? I know its been a hot subject with the popularity of sites like MySpace and Facebook.

I am concerned about a lot of the things that younger children are exposed to and the internet threat just adds to that concern. I was a public school principal before I retired and we were continually being forced to monitor the most innocent of internet activities because of some of the problems that existed and some of the information that children could post faster than we could stop them. Filters may have helped a little.

I think its amazing how well kids know computers and how easily they can get around blocked sites, etc. I think thats part of the problem too; that these kids know more about computers than their parents. That's why I think these educational sites can be very useful for parents. Schools are in a tough position to try and allow the internet to be used as a tool for children but at the same time be able to block bad sites.

I think its amazing how well kids know computers and how easily they can get around blocked sites, etc.

I'm amazed by how little these supposed "professionals" know about computers, and how ineffective their "site blocking" methods are. Of course kids can easily get around them, they're poorly implemented. Security by obscurity isn't security at all. The method for access must be removed, not simply masked. And you parents... if you're using web monitoring/filtering software, use a REAL password, not your pets name or someone's birthday. Use a strong password, something like QeV45#2*k$. If your kid can guess your password, you're just wasting your money making ineffective software more ineffective.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ask a Question