Internal storage problems but SD works fine

I recently experienced a problem while updating my One XL and am getting I/O errors when trying to use the internal storage.

I bought an SD card, and was able to install the software onto it via the .cab file, and have been able to successfully update it and install my USA/Canada maps on it.

So, it seems to be working fine now with the SD card.

My question is, should I be worried that the internal storage failed? Should I try to initiate a return/repair with TomTom? My girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas, so I think I'm still under warranty.

Thanks in advance for the help!

( Oh, and the only reason I knew about the .cab file was this forum, so thanks for that too! :) )

As you've seen, with your model, everything has to be in either internal storage OR a sd card. If your unit were not under warranty, I'd say to leave it as is and run from the card. But if it is still a warranty unit, I'd be inclined to return it.

What I/O errors are you experiencing exactly?

hm, actually, I take that back about everything being fine.

It says I can't join MapShare because it's "not supported either for your device or for the map you are using."

Also, I can't seem to find QuizGPSFix anymore.

Does this have something to do with the .cab I installed to the SD card?

As you've seen, with your model, everything has to be in either internal storage OR a sd card. If your unit were not under warranty, I'd say to leave it as is and run from the card. But if it is still a warranty unit, I'd be inclined to return it.

What I/O errors are you experiencing exactly?

The errors I was experiencing were very similar to these:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-xl/18932-flashing-red-x-no-backup-help.html
And when I tried to install the .cab files onto it through explorer, there was also an error.

Yeah, I think I will try to return it ... how is the TomTom return/repair process? Do I need a receipt or proof of purchase? I think I still have the box around somewhere, but am not sure.

Try a reset on the unit (I think for yours that means to hold the power button for 10-15 seconds) and shut down Home.

Connect the unit and restart Home. Same error message about mapshares?

Try a reset on the unit (I think for yours that means to hold the power button for 10-15 seconds) and shut down Home.

Connect the unit and restart Home. Same error message about mapshares?

This seems to work. I was able to install mapshare.

I was also able to find QuickGPS fix on my computer and install it from there.

So I think I'm all set under the SD card! ... Thanks!

About the return process ... is it difficult?

I don't know about returns.

Make sure you make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of the sd card.

Others have posted that returns are pretty quick. Tomtom gets a replacement in the mail to you usually within 24 hours of when your defective unit reaches them.

Call phone support. Tomtom will try to diagnose with you, and if they can't solve it they'll initiate the warranty return.

You'll most likely need to fax in a proof of purchase to prove your in-warranty status since the ONE XL is an older model.

Ask a Question