Instructions for changing cracked screen on 740 please

Hi everyone.

I know several people have asked for this, and there are some fantastic guides for changing batteries and other stuff, but can someone please post a step-by-step guide to replacing a cracked screen on a TomTom 740 please?

We have a replacement part delivered from China, but before we begin trying to figure out how to change it, we would really value some help.

It depends on what you've bought...
If you bought the "combined screen and digitiser", then it should be just a simple case of unplugging the multicore ribbon cable (be extra careful with the tiny latches on the connector) and plugging the new one in.
But if you went for the slightly cheaper option of the lcd screen only, it involves taking the whole screen module apart.

I'll see if I can find a video, or link to one.

This for a different model, but should give you an idea of what's involved.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RySuzK4coo[/ame]

Yup -- easy enough to see why we recommend that most users just buy the assembly!

With an exacto knife and patience, it is possible to separate the digitizer and reuse the LCD screen. Budget up to 30 minutes. The question becomes, is it practical? You will need some specialty 2mm double sided tape, magnification, and the capability to micro solder in your digitizer leads to the LCD harness and then correctly seat the digitizer onto the LCD. The bottom line: it is possible to do everything everybody tells you to do and still have hidden issues. Unless you want to gamble, buy the entire assembly, because you may have to end up doing that anyway. It takes about 1-2 minutes to swap out the LCD assembly. Nothing to it. A digitizer will cost about $10-$15 US and the entire assembly between $35-$45.

Ask a Question