installing map files w/o using HOME

In 2007, user "dhn" posted instructions for installing downloaded map files manually, without using HOME, on a PC. I have an iMac and would like the same instructions for a Macintosh, as the install hangs on the cline.dat file when I try to install using HOME. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

unit lacks free space

I have done the backup and extracted the "USA_and_Canada.zip" file (by default, it created a folder within the TomTom root folder on my computer's hard drive). When I tried to copy this file onto the unit, it returned an error message saying there is not enough free space. The unit (a TomTom ONE 130) has only 979.1 MB total capacity, and only 559.5MB are currently available (I deleted the original "USA_and_Canada" folder to create space). The expanded file is 828.4 MB.

There was no warning that this was an oversize file when I purchased and downloaded it from TomTom. Is it supposed to be overwriting some files? How do I create more free space?

See if there are a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files in the map folder. If they are, delete them. They're used for Voice Recognition and your model doen't have that functionality.

Yes, when you extract the map, you should overwrite existing files. Macs use Stuffit, not WinRar.

Also, you can try removing the entire voices folder from the unit to free up space. You can add voices back using Home after the map is installed on the unit.

I have done the backup and extracted the "USA_and_Canada.zip" file (by default, it created a folder within the TomTom root folder on my computer's hard drive). When I tried to copy this file onto the unit, it returned an error message saying there is not enough free space. The unit (a TomTom ONE 130) has only 979.1 MB total capacity, and only 559.5MB are currently available (I deleted the original "USA_and_Canada" folder to create space). The expanded file is 828.4 MB.

There was no warning that this was an oversize file when I purchased and downloaded it from TomTom. Is it supposed to be overwriting some files? How do I create more free space?

Manual installation shouldn't be necessary on a ONE 130, as it should have enough space to fit the 828mb map. Your error sounds like a bad sector or file allocation error, which is taking up 300mb of your 979 mb space.

Try backing up your tomtom per these steps, then format the Tomtom per these steps, and hopefully you get back to 979mb available. If so, then use "update my ONE" in HOME to reinstall everything including your map.

Ask a Question