Installing a new map

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 720
Hello,

I have a new map on my TomTom home page. I can see it under the "remove items" icon in the "items on computer" tab. I don't want to remove it, I want to install it on my TomTom. Can someone tell me how to get it from my computer to my TomTom.

I also found it in Windows Explorer as a zip file. Again, I just don't know how to get it from the computer to the TomTom.

The more detailed the instructions are, the better for me!

Thanks so much.

If Home sees it as an item on your computer then you should be able to get Home to install it on your unit using Add Voices/Maps icon. It should show the map listed as being located on the computer. Click the 'install' button.

Hello again,

Sorry it took me a day to check back on my post..........

When I go into Home, add maps, and then open the map icon, I have 2 North American maps listed.

One is 1683.5 MB - located on device.
The other is 1723.5 MB - located on my computer.

I clicked "add" next to the 1723.5MB. It took about 15 minutes for it to go through the copy and install process. When it was completed I then went into the "show contents of my go" icon. Yup, you guessed it...........the only map that is in there is 1683.5 MG.

Am I doing something incorrectly???

Thanks again,
Brenda

Check to see what map version is currently installed on your unit.
Also check to see what the version of each map you have there.

Hi again,

Work keeps getting in the way of me checking my posts.......sorry for the delay all.

Anyhooo.

Jimmyt5, I've tried on 2 different days to install and the same thing happens. It takes 15 minutes for it to go through the install process, but it never loads onto TomTom, so I don't believe turning Home off and trying again for a 3rd time will work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

PianoCM, the version that is on my device right now is North America 2GB - 1683.5 MG - 710.1584.

The other map (which is the one I want) is 1723.5 MG.
I can't see any other information about this map because the only option I have is to "delete" it because it's on the "remove items from my computer icon".

My software version is 8.010.

I hope this answers your question.

I guess to me, it shouldn't matter much, because no matter what the version is, if it's on my Home and it goes through the install process........why won't it load onto the unit?

But, what do I know???? LOL

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Brenda TT720 GO

Last edited:
Try copying to computer the map on your device. then delete it from the device. Then go to the Add Maps, etc icon and tab over to "items on computer" and open it.

Then go to the Maps and expand and look at them. You might find they are the same. If not, install the latest version one. if they are the same, install whichever.

The size on the device is usually different then the size of the one in downloads, so it does not indicate a different one.

Bnewton,
if I was you, here's what I would do.
+ MOVE your 1723.5GB map from the currently location (most likely within your Tomtom/HOME/Download folder. Save it somewhere.
+ Get back into TomtomHOME tool, theoritically, the new map (1723.5GB) should still be there (visible from TT site). If so, check its version (hopefully it's the latest one 725.xxxx). Verify its size again.
+ Download (redownload) and install AGAIN.

Ask a Question