Installing 3rd party applications

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I'd like to install 3rd party applications like ReverseItn and others. I've searched and poked around on this forum, but can't find specific information on how to do this.

I've read that you use TomTome Home to install the application, but I don't know **how** to do this.

I've also read that if you don't have custom menus, a button is automatically added to the device's menu pointing to the new application. But if you do have custom menus, you must manually modify the menu to add a button for the application. There also seems to be some kind of a trick as to how to number these buttons so that they point to the application correctly.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm using a TomTom One 3rd Edition, so I won't be installing applications on an SD card.

If someone describes the process for adding apps to a TomTom, then I think the administrators should make this thread a sticky.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

I'd like to install 3rd party applications like ReverseItn and others. I've searched and poked around on this forum, but can't find specific information on how to do this.

I've read that you use TomTome Home to install the application, but I don't know **how** to do this.

I've also read that if you don't have custom menus, a button is automatically added to the device's menu pointing to the new application. But if you do have custom menus, you must manually modify the menu to add a button for the application. There also seems to be some kind of a trick as to how to number these buttons so that they point to the application correctly.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm using a TomTom One 3rd Edition, so I won't be installing applications on an SD card.

If someone describes the process for adding apps to a TomTom, then I think the administrators should make this thread a sticky.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

I'm also looking for this. I've tried mounting the TOMTOM and dragging over applications, I've tried using the HOME software also. The HOME software is basicly useless as I have a macintosh. Unless there is some hidden functionality I've missed I may need to consider a different product that has better support for mac os and linux.

It seems quite odd there isn't a option to select an application to install in HOME. :|

Unless there is some hidden functionality I've missed I may need to consider a different product that has better support for mac os and linux.

Good luck with that. I also use Macs primarily, and TomTom certainly supports them better than Garmin. A couple years ago Garmin said they were finally porting their programs to the Mac but they've been slow to come (although there's a rumor that MapSource will finally appear soon).

The irony of your statements is that TomTom GPS'es actually are little linux-based computers, and the applications you're trying to install are linux programs.

But these third party applications are no longer supported by TomTom on the new models which use Navcore 7 (which I think would be their entire line except the PDA version). That's too bad - I hope they will finally update the SDK to allow developers to make their programs compatible with the new system. But from everything I've read, just about all of the existing 3rd party applications have some issues running on the new GPS'es, which is why I haven't tried using them.

But Garmin doesn't have any support for 3rd party applications and their GPS'es are completely closed, not allowing any of the cool hacks that we can do with TomTom. And that's why my primary GPS is now a TomTom after driving more than 100,000 miles with Garmin units.

If you're familiar with unix/linux then the TomTom is great with a Mac. Just fire up a terminal session on your mac and use the shell to copy and edit files - that's what I do. But getting back to the original question, I think you'll find the answers here if you dig through the documentation: http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/PRO/TomTomGO-SDK6_Documentation.zip

Ask a Question