Input on Speed Camera POI!

As some of you know, I've had a lot of technical problems trying to figure out the best way to build a Speed Camera POI for the DC area. The vast majority (read: 95%) of all speed cameras here are mobile. For instance, there is a speed zone (as I call them) that extends for 2.3 miles on Nebraska Avenue. In Montgomery County, they extend for entirety of given streets.

I could, of course, put a warning at one end and one at the other, but I think this would be insufficient for several reasons, not the least of which is that if you were to turn onto the speed trapped street in the middle of the zone, you wouldn't get a warning until you were leaving.

I may have come up with another solution, however, and would like some feedback. Normally, in addition to the spoken warning, the icon flashes on screen.

What if I were to set a POI every 300-400 yards in each zone and then load a silent warning? You'd then have to set the POI Prefs to warn when that POI was 300 yards (or whatever distance they are apart) away. You'd get no audio warning, but you would get the icon flashing on the screen for the entire length of the trap, no matter which direction you were traveling.

It works for me, but I'm curious to know if everyone thinks this is a good solution. If not, I am open to any suggestions.

As some of you know, I've had a lot of technical problems trying to figure out the best way to build a Speed Camera POI for the DC area. The vast majority (read: 95%) of all speed cameras here are mobile. For instance, there is a speed zone (as I call them) that extends for 2.3 miles on Nebraska Avenue. In Montgomery County, they extend for entirety of given streets.

I could, of course, put a warning at one end and one at the other, but I think this would be insufficient for several reasons, not the least of which is that if you were to turn onto the speed trapped street in the middle of the zone, you wouldn't get a warning until you were leaving.

I may have come up with another solution, however, and would like some feedback. Normally, in addition to the spoken warning, the icon flashes on screen.

What if I were to set a POI every 300-400 yards in each zone and then load a silent warning? You'd then have to set the POI Prefs to warn when that POI was 300 yards (or whatever distance they are apart) away. You'd get no audio warning, but you would get the icon flashing on the screen for the entire length of the trap, no matter which direction you were traveling.

It works for me, but I'm curious to know if everyone thinks this is a good solution. If not, I am open to any suggestions.

Hmmm...that might work. I'm just not sure how effective it would be to have the icon flashing in a speed zone that extends 2.3 miles if you have other icons coming up on the screen at the same time (Starbucks, gas stations, etc.). I would probably try to create around 10 first just to try it out.

Ask a Question