Initial Charging - TT XXL

Hello everyone. I just bought a TomTom XXL. However, I do not know how I should handle the first charge. Is it ok to charge it via the usb? Should I turn the device on and use it until the battery drains up before the initial charging or should I charge it prior to the first use. Also how many hours should I let it charge via usb?

Ty.

Welcome to TTF.

You should let your unit charge 2-4 hours before really using it for the first time.

Also, make sure to make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. (Finder on a Mac). It's your safety net ;)

Thanks for the fast reply. I am guessing that fully charging and discharging the battery is the best way to prolong its life. Am I correct? Or is it ok to have the device plugged in all the time?

No, don't fully discharge the batteries. That does NOT extend the battery life on these batteries.

It's fine to keep it connected all the time........

Cool. Yes, I noticed that after leaving the TT connected via the usb cable for a long time, but not connected to the computer, that pressing the status bar (on the Right) shows that the battery is "charging" and that after leaving it connected this way for a very long time, you no longer get the "charging" legend, but simply get a picture of a fully charged battery. I mean fully, there is next to no white space on the left. So apparently charging actually gets shut off at some point - to prevent overcharging the battery. However if you unplug, the replug right away - it starts charging again right away.

...except for one condition:

If you plan to abandon your TT for an extended period of time (a month or more), I would recommend discharging it to about 50% of its full charge before setting it on the shelf. Lithium cells do not prefer extended storage after a 100% charge - it actually shortens the life of the cells. Manufacturers should (and often do) produce and ship their products at 50% charge by default. It's easier on the cells, especially when there's no telling when the product will finally reach a customer's hands. This appears to be a unique feature of lithium chemistry. I've not run across it on any other.

Other than that, dhn is entirely correct. There's no reason not to leave the unit on the charger all the time for day-to-day use. It won't be overcharged unless something goes badly wrong with the unit's internal charging circuit. Thankfully, I don't think I've heard that complaint on a TomTom device.

Ask a Question