info on using built in FM transmitter?

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 2535 M
I was just wondering do you have to have the TT Go920 fm transmitter tuned to a radio staion that is not in use to broadcast navigation directions over your car radio? If so this would mean the transmitter would only be useful if you were using your tomtom to play .mp3's via the fm transmitter correct?

YES- you need to find a "quiet" FM frequency, which can be difficult to find in a highly populated area. Unfortunately the TT does not tune down to the very low end of the FM band which is relatively quiet. There are web sites out there that can show unused frequencies in your US zip code, but that info is not much help when you are travelling out of your home area.

OTOH - the TT920 can direct driving instructions to the TT built in speaker while sending your mp3 music to the car speakers at the same time. Pretty sure it mutes the mp3 when a driving direction is spoken. You can also send audio to BT device or direct connect (line-out). Check "change preferences" and drill down to page 6 - Speaker Preferences.

JB

I'm curious. What's the range on the transmitter like? Would it be possible to, say, have a following car tune to the same frequency and get directions? That might be kind of handy.

I've never tested the range of the TT FM xmtr, but other gps brands have complained that they did not get clear/good music quality signal from the dashboard because they had a rear mounted car antenna as opposed to windshield or front mount type. Antenna placement is a factor. I have had other FM xmtrs broadcast for a distance of up to about 50 feet. Most likey will not work well for car to car broadcasting at highway speeds and safe following distances.

JB

Ask a Question