In-Dash Unit in 2013 Mazda CX-5

I just bought a new 2013 Mazda CX-5 (actually two, one for my wife as well). We both got the Touring model so it didn't come with the TomTom Nav. I'm thinking about adding it, but the dealer wants a lot. I guess the device is already built-in to the touch screen in the vehicle and all thats needed is for the dealership to add in a SD card under the dash to load the data on to?

Anyone have any positive or negative feedback for this particular in-dash system? Also, does anyone know if I have to go to the "dealer only" for this or can I go to BestBuy, CarToys, etc.?

Can't help thinking if you can afford two new MX-5s at the same time you shouldn't need places like Best Buy!

But I doubt a car-specific in-dash TomTom is ever going to be available except from TomTom or the dealership.

Haha... we traded-in two cars as well. I'm not the BOSS. The TomTom unit is actually already in the vehicle, but not "enabled" They say they have to install a SD card reader under the dash and then the card gets loaded with TomTom software and then will work. Seems weird to me, but they're after that extra $$, so I guess it makes sense then, lol.

Maybe time to get chatting to a Mazda mechanic in some local hostelry, to see if you can find out what's actually missing!

By the way, I was only teasing you because I'm jealous.
I was going to buy myself an MX-5 when they first came out, but ended up with my first child instead.

@Andy
Yeah, and the cost of diaper changes will outstrip the price of oil changes in the first week. The MX-5 would have been cheaper!

@Billy
I've got the reference manual for your unit here, and was looking specifically to see what all might be discussed about updating items on the SD card. I see NO reference to the firmware. The card does contain your map folder. To update things, they expect you will insert your SD into a card reader on your PC.

So it's not clear to me, but not seeing any reference to firmware, it would appear that a card with a valid map is what they're looking to have you install. That said, they could charge a lot more than the price of a map to get you started, and you can bet that the map is keyed to the device as is true for all of these units .. standalone or in-dash.

What happens if you attempt to access the Nav system with no card installed? Any relevant messages that will give us a clue if the unit itself is ready to rock, apart from a map?

Last edited:
i just bought the 2013 Mazda 3 Grand Touring. I have the nav. It does use a SD card reader. I have the card in my Mac right now playing with it. I have to be honest I am struggling a little to get used to the brand. I have had about 5 Garmins and to me they are the better unit. Probably just what I am used to though. Judging from the online community the TomTom line has a huge following. It is nice to have it all in the dash. Just trying to learn how to manipulate it.

You could always look around in the Mazda forums, some people are actually selling their NB1 (that is what the device called). However my dealer charged around 700 Canadian dollars to get it installed and with that comes also the warranty work so any issues have been resolved so far. The cheapest I have seen them was around 495 on E-Bay. I guess you can always opt for an aftermarket unit but you will lose some of the setup functions currently in the head unit that talk straight to your computer in the car. Of course a dealer would also be tempted to void any and all warranty on your car and could potentially not install and TSB's.

Ask a Question