Images for Menu Buttons Accessible? (TT 3rd)

Are the images for the menu buttons accessible on the TT 3rd? I think I've been through every folder at least once and I haven't found them.

Thanks for input, but I didn't see what I was looking for there. Let me rephrase a little. I'm not looking to restructure the menu functions, just displaying a custom image for a function, opposed to the default image. Just for example, say I wanted to change the image displayed for the preferences menu function/button from a wrench to a hammer.

Similar TT alterations seem to be as simple as replacing one bitmap file with another, but in this case I can't find the originals to replace them. It's making me wonder if they are accessible or if I'm just looking in all the wrong places somehow.

Thanks for input, but I didn't see what I was looking for there. Let me rephrase a little. I'm not looking to restructure the menu functions, just displaying a custom image for a function, opposed to the default image. Just for example, say I wanted to change the image displayed for the preferences menu function/button from a wrench to a hammer.

Similar TT alterations seem to be as simple as replacing one bitmap file with another, but in this case I can't find the originals to replace them. It's making me wonder if they are accessible or if I'm just looking in all the wrong places somehow.
Hmmm, that would be a question for Birdman, I guess. If there is a way to do that, someone in the forum has figured it out! :D

It's my understanding that the coding for the images (icons) are hard coded in the firmware software.

For built-in application icons, nobody has discovered a way to change those as dhn states.

For 3rd party applications, you can edit the *.cap file in the /SdkRegistry folder as I describe at the bottom of this instruction page:
>>> MenuTT Program <<<

Last edited:
Hey, I think I know what your talking about, and I'm looking to do the same thing. I stumbled accross these instructions, but I'm not sure if they only apply to the tomtom software on PDA's.

You actually have to use the same program/tweak that messes with the menu STRUCTURE in order to change the menu IMAGES.
This is with the tomtom.mnu file in SdkRegistry. There are many other threads on how to do this.

Basically the menu structure is in text format like below:
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Main Menu|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|

So with this particular menu item:

MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|

To Change the ICON and/or LABEL just add two more varibles separated by the ?|? symbol:

MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|?icon.bmp?|?Where to??|

The icon will change to icon.bmp and the button caption will now read, Where to?

Icons must be BMP 80 pixels wide x 50 pixels high (80x50) in 24 bit color. The full BMP file name must be used in "quotes" between the |pipes|.

I haven't even bought a unit yet, so I can't test this for myself. Maybe you would like to try! Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Ask a Question