I'm ready to jump ship! 6.65 maps are awful!

The more I use my new TT1 (6.65 maps), the less comfortable I feel about taking its advice.

Here in Oregon, roads and freeways don't change much over time. New buildings go up, old ones come down, but the roadway infrastructure stays pretty much the same. A paper map that was good 10 years ago, is likely to be quite valid today. That said, what would possibly be causing my new high-tech GPS device to consistently turn a 20-mile trip into a 39+ miler? In my recent travels, whether it's the "Shortest" or "Fastest" routing option, the generated paths are more likely than not to get seriously out of whack...somewhere along the line.

I'm not yet inclined to fault the hardware and UI. I like that part of the package. I have no evidence to suggest that the electronics are leading the routes astray. As best I can determine, the TeleAtlas USA maps, and especially those that cover my region, are rife with logic and geographic errors. Some are so distracting that they raise some safety concerns.

I've read some posts here and on other GPS-centric sites that imply that the new 6.65 maps are behaving more like a downgrade. Though I have no experience with older TeleAtlas maps, the notion to drop back to an earlier version is beginning to sound like an unwelcome but worthwhile effort.

Before I consider dumping my TT1, what is the recommended process for reloading previous map versions? It would be very cool if the reload could be accomplished without losing the existing add-ins and customizations. I really would prefer to avoid having to reinstall everything.

I would be happy to compile any contributed information and author a procedure, if none already exists.

Last edited:
Changing maps is really very easy. When your unit is hooked up to your computer, Windows Explorer sees it as a hard drive. (Note: Shut down the Home program if it starts.)

You can then just copy maps back and forth between the hard drive and the TomTom. All you have to move is the map folder itself. That's it. Just one folder!

To keep your Favorites, you will have to transfer the 'Mapsettings.cfg' file which is inside the map folder.

The more I use my new TT1 (6.65 maps), the less comfortable I feel about taking its advice.

Here in Oregon, roads and freeways don't change much over time. New buildings go up, old ones come down, but the roadway infrastructure stays pretty much the same. A paper map that was good 10 years ago, is likely to be quite valid today. That said, what would possibly be causing my new high-tech GPS device to consistently turn a 20-mile trip into a 39+ miler? In my recent travels, whether it's the "Shortest" or "Fastest" routing option, the generated paths are more likely than not to get seriously out of whack...somewhere along the line.

QUOTE]

I am curious, did you identify why the difference? (constantly 20 vs 39 miles?)

When did you find this issue? If it was prior to driving the route, making an itinerary is a very powerful way of managing your routes.

I am not saying the maps are wonderful, but maybe there is a way to manage the issues.

-S

Changing maps is really very easy. When your unit is hooked up to your computer, Windows Explorer sees it as a hard drive. (Note: Shut down the Home program if it starts.)

You can then just copy maps back and forth between the hard drive and the TomTom. All you have to move is the map folder itself. That's it. Just one folder!

To keep your Favorites, you will have to transfer the 'Mapsettings.cfg' file which is inside the map folder.

Well, that does sound pretty easy! I'll give it a try and run some tests. I'm not quite sure what version came with my TT1 originally. I'll load it up and get in some testing. I really hate having to do this, but for my own peace of mind, I need to know if the map version is the source of the problems I've been seeing. The question remains... Even if the older maps resolve some problems, what do I have to look forward to in the future? At this moment, I don't see any hope - unless TomTom drops Tele Atlas for Navteq in the USA.

Thanks.

I am curious, did you identify why the difference? (constantly 20 vs 39 miles?)

When did you find this issue? If it was prior to driving the route, making an itinerary is a very powerful way of managing your routes.

I am not saying the maps are wonderful, but maybe there is a way to manage the issues.

The bogus routing took place while I was driving in unfamiliar areas. Due to my previous experiences, I brought a Thomas Guide map book along...just in case. It was easy to see that the TT1 was producing bad routes when I noticed that my heading was going further and further away from my destination, or I entered into a series of nonsensical right angle turns. I either continued down the route I was given, or I went to the map book to find my way back to the logical route. I retraced the bad routes in the book when I returned home and determined that I lost a significant amount of time and distance on each trip. The worst case was 19 miles, and the typical was 3 to 7 miles.

I really shouldn't have to validate everything the TT1 is doing...should I?

I suppose building an itinerary is an option if I'm able to plan ahead of the trip.

TomTom says that their product makes driving a much more relaxed experience. The driver can concentrate on the road and not on the drudge of navigation.

Oh, REALLY? When exactly is that feature supposed to kick in?

Thanks for the "itinerary" suggestion. I'll use that tactic when practicable.

The bogus routing took place while I was driving in unfamiliar areas. Due to my previous experiences, I brought a Thomas Guide map book along...just in case. It was easy to see that the TT1 was producing bad routes when I noticed that my heading was going further and further away from my destination, or I entered into a series of nonsensical right angle turns. I either continued down the route I was given, or I went to the map book to find my way back to the logical route. I retraced the bad routes in the book when I returned home and determined that I lost a significant amount of time and distance on each trip. The worst case was 19 miles, and the typical was 3 to 7 miles.

I really shouldn't have to validate everything the TT1 is doing...should I?

I suppose building an itinerary is an option if I'm able to plan ahead of the trip.

TomTom says that their product makes driving a much more relaxed experience. The driver can concentrate on the road and not on the drudge of navigation.

Oh, REALLY? When exactly is that feature supposed to kick in?

Thanks for the "itinerary" suggestion. I'll use that tactic when practicable.

I guess the issue lines in the fact that one bad placed/missing road can royally screw up a route. In my neighborhood, I have a road that is no longer present (washed out road/dam back in the 1970's). Now that road has been in the works for replacement for the past few years, but still nothing has changed. Did TeleAtlas just miss removing this road or did they make the road present assuming the road would get rebuilt this year. Who knows. Either way, I simply avoid that road and TT routes just fine.

One point...I have used Google maps to give me routes to a family members house 400 miles away and the routes provided always sucked (heavy traffic, tolls, etc.). I always ended up using memory or an atlas. I used the itinerary option in the TT and the route produced was perfect.

I really think GPS units are advertised as the ultimate electornic atlas, yet they still have issues (both maps companies have issues). I take my GPS and a backup map....if either one fails, you have a backup.

Regardless of the map company, if you find an issue, submit the issue to map company and hopefully they will research the issue and address it in future map revisions. I know you shouldn't have to do that, but if it helps, it is worth it.

A funny (really, not so funny) thing happened to me when going from Northern New Jersey to an address in midtown Manhattan -- my 910 proudly announced while in the midst of the George Washington Bridge that I had reached my destination. This never happened before with the older map set. Also, for those of you familiar with the Palisades Parkway, there is a direct entry from the parkway to the GW Bridge. Instead of utilizing this entry point, the 910 rerouted me through the streets to get to the bridge. When I ignored the direction and proceeded through the parkway toll plaza, the 910 immediatly recalculated the correct route, at least until midway across the bridge.

Tom,

I had the EXACT scenario as you this afternoon with the same results. I bought my ONE three days ago. It's the new version w/o SD card and has 6.65 maps.

For fun I was going from Bergen County to Central Park in Manhattan and decided to take the ONE with me even though I can drive the route in my sleep. It told me to take Rt 17 to Rt 4 to the bridge. Since I live in the upper fringes of Bergen, I decided to use I-287 towards the TZ Bridge. It first rerouted me to use the Garden State Parkway, which I ignored. Then it rerouted me to use the Palisades which I followed.

Unlike you it directed me to use the direct connect from the Palisades to the GW w/o utilizing the local streets. However, the Palisades "splits" with the left as being Cash and the right being EZ-Pass. I took the right and went through the tolls.

Like you, just as I entered the bridge proper, it said I've reached my destination! :eek: :eek: Not quite in the middle of the bridge like you but on the bridge nevertheless. After it happened I did a "Navigate To" again to Central Park to continue the trip, which was uneventful.

It's a little disheartening to see this plus it's hard to do a Navigate To while going 50 MPH across the GW bridge! :)

On the return trip, I followed the route to the T, across the GW bridge as directed and reached home w/o a hiccup. WEIRD!

BTW, did you ever get a chance to try this route again and is the "bug" reproducible each and every time? I don't think I will have a chance before the 14 day return period at Circuit City expires. I wonder if this is a fair data point for a return and get a Magellan/Garmin instead? Everything else is fine and I do like the unit.

i agree, new maps are a downgrade

These problems being experienced are very familiar to me. I find inncorrect information in every city, on old roads that have not changed in years. These would include recent drives in Des Moines, Birmingham, W. Palm Beach, Austin, Hartford, you name it. I have experienced odd routings numerous times, most notably going from Columbus to Buffalo. I've been told to take exits where exits don't exist. I've been on old, straight roads, with full reception strenghth, and somehow gone off the map completely on consecutive days. I am now in Canada. The Canda maps are even worse. I have found it impossible to enter addresses for at least 5 different commercial properties just here in the vicinity of Calgary. Some of these are highly rated and recommended places by major travel magazines, yet the TT can't find them, or even nearby cross streets. If teleatlas is the problem, is there any hope that TT will find a new vendor? I will also reitterate my constant complaint that, in making room for these supposedly improved maps, memory constraints have made certain POI's dissappear. This is unacceptable. There were less problems and more POI's before I spent my money to "upgrade".

These problems being experienced are very familiar to me. I find inncorrect information in every city, on old roads that have not changed in years. These would include recent drives in Des Moines, Birmingham, W. Palm Beach, Austin, Hartford, you name it. I have experienced odd routings numerous times, most notably going from Columbus to Buffalo. I've been told to take exits where exits don't exist. I've been on old, straight roads, with full reception strenghth, and somehow gone off the map completely on consecutive days. I am now in Canada. The Canda maps are even worse. I have found it impossible to enter addresses for at least 5 different commercial properties just here in the vicinity of Calgary. Some of these are highly rated and recommended places by major travel magazines, yet the TT can't find them, or even nearby cross streets. If teleatlas is the problem, is there any hope that TT will find a new vendor? I will also reitterate my constant complaint that, in making room for these supposedly improved maps, memory constraints have made certain POI's dissappear. This is unacceptable. There were less problems and more POI's before I spent my money to "upgrade".

Have you looked at the Teleatlas feedback website to see if the issues are still present? If they are, submit feedback to them to try and get the issues resolved. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but it is really the only way to try and have the issues resolved. Be proactive.

http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com/index.htm

OK.....I reported my GW Bridge experience to TeleAtlas and seconded your report MK. Until the next set of maps or firmware is released, we really will not know whether anything has changed. In the meantime, other TT users who are not that familliar with the area and are travelling through or touring will "have reached their destination" in the middle of the bridge.

Ask a Question