I'm done updating my 720 - no more for me!

I bought my 720 in October of last year and after getting the latest map, activating my VR and porting over the 920 POI's and getting everything to work and work well - I am done with making any further updates to my unit. No more Home update, no more operating system update no more anything. :eek:

Why, because it is just not worth the continued trouble that everyone reports, well - almost everyone - when someone reports here what happened when they tried. So, I consider my 720 as OPTIMIZED and good to go from this point forward. I was with you guys on several updates and had the same problems reported by others and wasting my time to restore everything back to the way I liked it and getting everything to work again.

My 720 works great, 4 gig SD-card is loaded with music and it is a pleasure to use and I am keeping it that way. :)

Usil

Oh my god!!! Somebody who shows common sense!! :eek: :eek:

Good for you........Having hassles does reduce the enjoyment, doesn't it.

Don't depart the forum, though. You can help others, you know. :D

I would be wanting the gps quick fix still though, it speeds things up so much.

How much room did the 920's POI take up, and if so where did you get them?

I would love to put the POI set from either the 720 or the 920. I have a 2 gb SD card in mine right now, and i have about a gig free. Anyone want to help me out with that?

Somebody who shows common sense!! :eek: :eek:

+1, good on ya!

I say that for a while, then breakdown & update. It usually ends up with me moving files trying to get back to good 'ol v7.221

You've given up on mapshare updates too?

I would be wanting the gps quick fix still though, it speeds things up so much.

How much room did the 920's POI take up, and if so where did you get them?

I would love to put the POI set from either the 720 or the 920. I have a 2 gb SD card in mine right now, and i have about a gig free. Anyone want to help me out with that?

I haven't downloaded a gps fix for a long time and find that it doesn't take all that long to pick up the satelites. In fact it seems to speed the process by setting up a route.

here's the link to the larger POI file. post #64

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

total size when unzipped is around 450 megs.

I still do the map and GPS fixes but these are small files and non invasive to my system. I have found that the GPS fixes do speed up the search for satellites greatly and in fact most of the time when it completes the boot process I have a fix. I travel from Texas to Maine and back frequently and some times I am in Maine for 2 weeks at a time and find if I have not had a GPS fix during that time it can take 1 to 3 minutes to lock on satellites. Some times I am well on my way before it is working which is a real pain so the GPS fixes are essential.

How much room did the 920's POI take up...
I had to remove some states voice files to make it fit but this is not an issue. The link for the file I found somewhere here in the forum.

Usil

Ask a Question