I see the new 8.15 map is avaiable for download

Here is a reply I got from Andy P on UK form this AM regarding mapsize discrepency between new 8.10 and older 8.10

COmpression is being improved all the time (or just being made more extreme!)

There used to be a "Large" W+CE map for the 910 and a "2GB" version for models like the 720 with 2GB of internal memory. You are now only offered the "2GB" version.

What I'm being offered this morning includes a new vewrsion with Turkey included. So I get:
Turkey, Western and Central Europe - 1691GB
Western and Central Europe_2GB - 1719GB
Western Europe - 1674.4GB

Looks like the problem is that they're still giving you the maps for the 920 instead of the 720 which your sig says you have. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems like it to me.

I see what you're saying ......

But DL's are supposed to be linked to your device code, therefore negating that theory

ALL is well now... They just sent me an email back saying my maps were finally fixed. They are ready to download. I just got the email. Haven't downloaded yet but am about to right now this very seconddddddddd

yay.jpg

The top is 810 and bottom is 815.. Looks like I'll have to load my big POI list again. I'm waiting for someone with a 920 to get 815.

Edit : Crap... I forgot to uncheck one of them and it started downloading both... must re-start the process.

Edit again : OMG! All these downloads must be taxing out their pentium II servers! The download ETA of the map keeps jumping like crazy.. It's estimating 8 hours so far and the number jumps up 3 to 4 minutes every second.

dkjflkdjd : ok download ETA dropped to 1 hour..

Ok well the download took 30 min... and it's installed... and.. well.. it's installed..... yea...

Last edited:
It ain't a pentium II, Sage, it's a little mousey running in a cage. :eek:

p.s. I'm trying to get the 920 info for you.....wait a sec.

Nope. not yet. I asked someone in Europe with a 920 who was dl both WE and NA 8.15's. When I get the info, I'll pm you.

It ain't a pentium II, Sage, it's a little mousey running in a cage. :eek:

p.s. I'm trying to get the 920 info for you.....wait a sec.

Nope. not yet. I asked someone in Europe with a 920 who was dl both WE and NA 8.15's. When I get the info, I'll pm you.

Okie thanks... and Blarg! No VR! I'll have to investigate further :) Still inputing ALL my previous settings again since I wiped the whole device earlier.

Edit : Dur I'm an idiot.. I don't even have ANY voices installed.. NONE. oopsie.. Now I know why VR is "DEE DEE DEE"

Edit : Okie... VR is back now... Man, my car icon is drifting ALOT.. and I'm just sitting here in front of my PC... and the new IQ routes do show.. but havent fully tested it yet

The POI list still sucks.. Loading my old large 920 810 POI database. It didn't even have my school! (the new one)

Ohh CRAP.... 810 POI doesn't work with 815... It's completely blank... :( It's the same result either through home or the device.

ohhnoes.jpg

ohhnoes2.jpg

ohhnoes3.jpg

^^^And what IQ routes look like.. That's just a generic PC time that it's showing, but it's working^^^

Last edited:
Does the 815 still call the files poi.dat and crpoi.dat? If so, you know what I'm gonna say, don't you? :D :D

If that doesn't work, try here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=75607&postcount=46

Also, are those shots while the unit is connected and Home' emulator is running?

Try undocking and see what happens.............

It looks like that both in the emulator and the device itself. And I might have an epileptic seizure if you tell me to do a pin reset, but eh, I tried it and still no good. Yep the files are still called poi.dat and crpoi.dat

Bummer.

Ohh CRAP.... 810 POI doesn't work with 815... It's completely blank... :( It's the same result either through home or the device.

Looks like TomTom may prevented us from sharing the poi.dat files. If I decide to get a map update (I'll wait for more feedback from others), I'll test it out for validation.

It looks like that both in the emulator and the device itself. And I might have an epileptic seizure if you tell me to do a pin reset, but eh, I tried it and still no good. Yep the files are still called poi.dat and crpoi.dat

Bummer.

Have you tried a chkdsk /f on your SD card?

Have you tried a chkdsk /f on your SD card?

It works just fine with the 815 POI database, but it simply will not recognize the 810 database. I did a chkdisk just now for the heck of it, but all clean. I've tried re-loading 3 different "large poi" database files, all from different map versions. There are 3 versions floating around this board, and none work. It's just weird that I can't find my school or any local REAL school here. I'm getting nursery schools, cosmetology, etc. Where are the SCHOOL SCHOOLS??

I swore even my stock ONE XL had my school as well..

Looks like TomTom may prevented us from sharing the poi.dat files. If I decide to get a map update (I'll wait for more feedback from others), I'll test it out for validation.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case and that the map is simply calling for a different format POI database like the rep told me over the phone. I didn't think it would also affect the POI database though...

I don't know whether it's related or not, but the UK forum people often use created symbols for their safety cameras (VERY big over there......). Their symbols (related to speed limits) are, essentially, the equivalent of what we'd refer to as .bmps, cuz that's what they are.

Well, people over there are discovering that symbol sets of 48x48 no longer work in 8.15 but sets of 44x44 do.

How does that relate here/ Not sure it does. BUT, while it's understood that 22x22 is the 'standard' size of .bmp, in fact, 24x24 will work as Birdman in another post somewhere points out.

So, the imbedded symbols in the NEW poi and crpoi dat files may be in conflict, size wise, somehow with the sizes of .bmp in the 2 .dat files floating around this Board.

Especially when you take into the consideration the pointy arrow thingy new to the poi's in 8.3; they take up some pixel space.

The more I read what I've just typed, the sillier it seems :rolleyes:

But, who knows.......

That I knew, Pedro.....I was just curious as to why he switched font sizes. Other posts by him were larger.

My tired old eyes have a tough time at the best of times .......:(

Here's another image of IQ routes. Thank you birdman for the tip on taking screen captures on the device. I didn't think I could take screen captures outside the mapscreen, but clearly here it still takes them as long as I tap in that same spot.

dump673716788.jpg

Well just got off the phone with TomTom Support and after scanning in my receipt to a tomtom ticket of that green card with my free map download with the code they attached my tomtom account with the new 8.15 maps for both NA and WCE WoooHooo.

I must say that between my BT Remote Control Issues (TomTom jsut sent me a new BT Remote with No Questions asked) and getting the 2 new Map Updates v810 and now v815 after only having my TomTom 920 for only 2 months that pretty good in my book. Tells me that TomTom wants to keep there customers happy. Way to go TomTom.

Now if they could only make 100% of the NavCore software work correctly that we will be set.

MrChris

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

BTW, Gar, your font size is pretty small.......any reason?

This is for dhn LoL :D :D :D

Actualy I used MS word this AM and did a copy past and chose the wrong font size.

I just wanted to past a copy of e-mail I received from TT support after me being on the phone 3-4 times yesterday
saying they they had put the worng V-8.15 maps in my folder.

One thing I did find out is that there are different
8.30 apps
and they told me to delete my 8.30 app and DL & reinstall new version (08111-005264), which I did.

However the maps in my folder (Both N/A & C/W Europe)still stated they were wrong for my GO-920.
So after they escaladed my complante this is a copy of the reply I received from TT support.

Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of North America v8.15' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of North America v8.15 USD 109,95
Compensation discount - USD 109,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards,
TomTom

Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of Western & Central Europe v8.15' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of Western & Central Europe v8.15 USD 159,95
Compensation discount - USD 159,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards,
TomTom

This is for dhn LoL :D :D :D

Actualy I used MS word this AM and did a copy past and chose the wrong font size.

I just wanted to past a copy of e-mail I received from TT support after me being on the phone 3-4 times yesterday
saying they they had put the worng V-8.15 maps in my folder.

8.30 apps
and they told me to delete my 8.30 app and DL & reinstall new version (08111-005264), which I did.

However the maps in my folder (Both N/A & C/W Europe)still stated they were wrong for my GO-920.
So after they escaladed my complante this is a copy of the reply I received from TT support.

Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of North America v8.15' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of North America v8.15 USD 109,95
Compensation discount - USD 109,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards,
TomTom

Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of Western & Central Europe v8.15' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of Western & Central Europe v8.15 USD 159,95
Compensation discount - USD 159,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards,
TomTom

They always send those same emails when you are given a free map by tech support. I got about 9 of those emails yesterday. Not only that, but I got the same exact email for when I used LMG through tech support for map 810. The email does't mean much. Here's a copy of my 810 email 15 days ago.

Dear Richard,
Due to a technical reasons, 'Map of North America_ 2GB v8.10' has been temporarily unavailable. To compensate for this inconvenience we have granted you a compensation product of the same subscription. This compensation product will give you access to your subscription for an additional period (equal to the duration of the outage) at the end of your normal subscription.

Map of North America_ 2GB v8.10 USD 129,95
Compensation discount - USD 129,95
Total USD 0,00

Best regards,
TomTom

8.30 apps

Did they tell you to also delete the 8.3 download in Home
" Download" folder before attempting to re-download and reinstall 8.3 ? Otherwise, I believe, it will simply reinstall the original downloaded file.

When I reinstalled 8.01 a few weeks ago, they had me delete the download of it before attempting ro reinstall it.

Ask a Question