I need instructions to open the 920 case

Hi guys,

My 920 has a failing audio out plug. EVERY audio out plug that goes in there is very sensitive and the right channel will drop out.

I want to open up the case and inspect the solder joints on the plug, maybe touch them up.

I can't find any instructions to open the 920. For every Ipod out there, someone wrote an internet page on how to open up the case to perform corrective maintenance, like battery changes, or hard drive replacements. I can find no such instructional for the Go 920.

If anyone has ever opened up the case, I'd appreciate any tips, advice, or a step-by-step.

on a less related note, has anyone run a left/right integrity check on their tomtom? my left and right channels are swapped! :eek:

Goto this site: TomTom GO x20.doc

and download the excellent document by one of our member's, canderson. It's actually about replacing a battery on the x20 models but will suffice for your needs.

Thanks dhn, This is exactly what I was looking for. Even better, as it is complete with photos at every step.

Problem solved!

Canderson did the hard work. I just provided the link ....

But glad things worked out for you.

For closure,

thanks again. The case did pop right open via those instructions. I easily isolated the plug and found indeed that the rear solder pad lifted. TomTom added an extra pad for a stabilizing solder joint on the phono plug. But it looks like they ended up changing the phono plug vendor, leaving that pad unused. Anyways, the pad dedicated to the "tip" of the phono plug is in the back and alone. So it doesnt take much wiggling for the entire pad to just lift of, which is exactly what I found on the board. Since this severed the trace, I needed to trace the path to the nearest pad and solder a 30 gauge wire to bridge the two.

Add a little hot melt for plug stabilization, and the case goes right back together.

Add an external M-F phono extension cable two inches long that swap the tip and middle sections of the plug, and not only is the audio out reliability fixed, but my left-right integrity is also corrected.

Again, I appreciate the help. Problem definitely solved.

-Steve

Ask a Question