I just got a tomtom one 3rd edition for my birthday yesterday.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
It?s my first GPS. So far I think it?s pretty neat, in a James Bond sorta way. I do have a few questions, and I?m sorry if they sound stupid.

1) Is there a setting where it just stays on and follows along the path I drive, or will it always try to guide me somewhere? I clear out my ?recent destinations? it will always try to guide me home, even though I?m going to work. Is that just the way it is?

2) Also, it?s giving me the wrong position for my home. How do I correct this?

3) Do I need to buy something extra for traffic updates, or does that require some kinda subscription.

4) Not really a question, but if theres a FAQ that answers all my questions, please post a link, as I can?t seem to find a newbie section.

Thanks.

It?s my first GPS. So far I think it?s pretty neat, in a James Bond sorta way. I do have a few questions, and I?m sorry if they sound stupid.
No stupid questions. Before ou do anything, make a complete backup of the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. ensure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Also, make sure you take advantage of the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee). Use Home's menu options to guide you. Once you're offered the newest map, make another backup .... different folder name.

1) Is there a setting where it just stays on and follows along the path I drive, or will it always try to guide me somewhere? I clear out my ?recent destinations? it will always try to guide me home, even though I?m going to work. Is that just the way it is?

No, that's weird. If you indeed have gone to the Recent Destination screen and deleted them all (you can't just delete one) AND you also have clicked on 'Clear Route' if that icon is active, then it should not be tring to direct you anwhere. And, certainly, you can have it running as you drive and it'll follow the road you are on ...

2) Also, it?s giving me the wrong position for my home. How do I correct this?

Preferences-->Change Home Location and arrow right to 'Current Location' icon BUT you should make sure you do this when you have a clear satellite signal for your Home location. Maybe, outside unobstructed by trees, etc.

3) Do I need to buy something extra for traffic updates, or does that require some kinda subscription.
Sorry, don't know whether your model can do traffic. Someone else will have to assist.

And as far as FAQ's? Just read the various threads here......you'll learn more than you ever want to know! :D

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work now, so I'll have to try this stuff out later.

Is there a post with instructions on making a backup so I'll do it right like you said? All I know is that I plugged it into my computer and installed and updated a buncha stuff.

As for it guiding me home, I can get it to guide me to a mall or something, but when I clear the destinations, it guides me home by default. I deleted all destinations, but I don't see a "clear route" icon anywhere.

It does have traffic updates, but it tells me to connect a traffic receiver.

I just reset to the factory settings and now I have the "clear route" icon.

I may still need instructions on how to back up using explorer. When I get home to try it, I may figure it out though.

Making a manual backup is easy using Windows Explorer. When you connect your unit to the PC, it will show up as an external hard drilve.

Just highlight and copy the entire contents of the TomTom to a folder on your hard drive.

The map has the road my house is on, but it?s about 50-75 yards off. I did the map correction thing and uploaded it through HOME. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for the changes to take effect?

I need a ?traffic receiver? to be able to get updated traffic info. Does this also charge up the tomtom battery? And how much is the traffic service? I think it?s something you have to subscribe to and pay monthly.

The map has the road my house is on, but it’s about 50-75 yards off. I did the map correction thing and uploaded it through HOME. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for the changes to take effect?

I need a “traffic receiver” to be able to get updated traffic info. Does this also charge up the tomtom battery? And how much is the traffic service? I think it’s something you have to subscribe to and pay monthly.

When you buy the traffic receiver, it comes with a 1 year subscription in the USA

The map has the road my house is on, but it?s about 50-75 yards off. I did the map correction thing and uploaded it through HOME. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for the changes to take effect?

I need a ?traffic receiver? to be able to get updated traffic info. Does this also charge up the tomtom battery? And how much is the traffic service? I think it?s something you have to subscribe to and pay monthly.

It does NOT charge up the TomTom battery.

In USA, subscription is 1 year free as Sage states, after that it is $60/year

Ask a Question