I have a new TT 130, want to update without bricking it.

I recently purchased a TomTom one 130. I have made a couple of backups of the unit using the explorer method. I want to upgrade to the most recent maps using TT home. What worries me is that you have to have the unit powered on before the computer will see what is on the unit. If I upgrade the firmware, and maps, and there was a problem with the firmware, could it keep the unit from even turning on? What is the best way to update everything without "bricking" it?

You have done the right thing by making Explorer, not Home, backups of the unit's contents.

Now, connect the unit and start Home. Update your map. Let it download and install the new map. (May take hours, just so you know).

Once that is done, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer. Then, disconnect the unit properly from the computer. You should be good to go.

A problem many have is disconnecting the unit from the computer improperly. You have to wait till all data is written to the flash drive.

Use Home's Device-->Disconnect.

Ok sounds good there. Won't Home ask me to update the firmware though? It says 7.5 if that matters any.

Yes, that is old, and you may need to update the f/w prior to its 'seeing' a new map being available at the version 8 level.

Update the firmware first. Make a backup (Explorer). Then update the map and make another backup.

ok. If while I am updating the firmware, something goes wrong, will it "brick" the unit, or will I be able to restore the info from the backups to the unit?

If something goes wrong (and nothing should if you don't disconnect the unit while it's being updated), you can normally delete the loose files in the root of the unit (NO folders or their contents) and restore the loose files from a backup.

Firmware is a loosely used term. Certain uses make it a more permanent "upgrade" that there is no coming back from (easily). Think of what you are doing as working with a hard drive and the application version as a simple operating system.

So if it doesnt work for you the way you like it, format (delete) and go back to the way it was.

As a side note I and PLENTY of other people have been using the latest versions of Tomtom everything with NO problems whatsoever. I have an XL with 8.014, 825v maps, and Home 2.6. Thats as up to date as I can get and it run just great 10+ hours a day constantly on and in use (I basically drive for a living)....

Keep in mind you see the problems on here that the FEW have. Everyone with an updated Tomtom that works just fine wont come on here telling everyone else how great it works.

Last edited:

Ask a Question