I can't move map from PC to TT. Help!

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Hi,
Bought TT XL about 1 year ago (I live in Australia); had Australia map pre-loaded. Setup TT Home (and updated it etc). All works fine.
Travelling to Europe this year and saw maps on sale at discount price. Decided to buy Western Europe map.

Did following:
1) backed TomTop up to PC
2) Copied Australia map (95Mb) from TT to PC
3) Cleared space on TT by removing Australia map (Western Europe map is 895Mb so can have little else on TT !!)
4) Ordered/ purchased Western Europe (WE) map
5) Downloaded WE map to PC and TT (browsed on TT -- looks fine)
6) Removed WE map from TT (so I could reload Australia map from PC to TT)
7) Australia map IS on PC -- but can't copy back to TT !!!! (aagh !!)
8) Where did I go wrong?
9 ) Can I recover ???

Hope TT gurus can advise.
Tks
BigRinOz

Using Windows Explorer right click the drive letter associated with the device and choose "Properties" from the list, what is the storage capacity remaining on the device - Mike

Mike.........both TT Home and Windows Explorer give free-space of 925.1 Mb -- so it's not a space issue.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post -- TT Home "Manage my XL" function doesn't appear to allow me to copy anything from PC to TT-XL (only the other way round).........

Also if I go to TT Home "Maps" function the Western Europe map is there (with nice "Add" button)........and with no price tag against it so that's "my" copy............and I also have the 1 x Oz, plus 2 (identical?) x W/Europe map files in my PCi

The TT Home Help doesn't explain how to get items reloaded from your PC to the TT itself -- does the function actually exist in TT Home?? Or do you just use file-copy etc in Windows to move from backup file on PC back on to the TT?? ie just treat the TT like a normal flash drive?

Thanks!
Richard

Or do you just use file-copy etc in Windows to move from backup file on PC back on to the TT?? ie just treat the TT like a normal flash drive?
Richard, I only ever use the useless Home application if there is no other way around the issue, what you mention above re use of Windows Explorer to copy the backup map folder to the device treating it as an extra drive is exactly how I would undertake the task, Home tends to overly complicate things and I don't trust it one bit - Mike

...additional to my post from a few mins ago I do see in my C:\........\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice folder that there are 2 files:
- Australia.toc
- Australia.zip

I assume that is the copy that I "saved" onto the PC from TT..........so now just to get it back to TT -- but how?

Thanks
Richard

Mike......thanks for confirmation re using Explorer etc (ie treat as regular files). Can you confirm that I should move BOTH the .zip and the .toc files back to TT device?

Rgds
Richard

If you want to use the HOME application to install, you have to go do the following unintuitive steps:

"add voices, traffic, etc" -> go to last screen -> "items on computer".

You can add your map from there.

Ask a Question