I can't enable the computer voices on my tomtom xl 340

So, I CAN'T ENABLE THE COMPUTER VOICES SO THAT MY GPS CAN ANNOUNCE STREET NAMES ON MY TOMTOM XL 340-- it keeps mentioning that I need the latest version (when I already have the latest version of TomTom Home). I tried deleting and then restoring my information. Can anyone please help me? :(

First question......... Are you sure you have the 340S model rather than just the 340 model?

When you go to Voice Preferences, what happens when you try to select a computer voice?

I believe I have TomTom 340 XL :(

I guess that doesn't speak street names huh?

There is no computer voice when I select the voices.

Just to double confirm. Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. If you see NEITHER a loquendotts folder or a vocalizer folder, then I'm afraid you do not have TTS on that unit.

I am having the same problem, except I definitely have the 340XLS. I have the LoquendoTTS directory and have downloaded the Susan computer voice there. I can see it in explorer on the device. However, when I select change voices, it only gives me the regular voice options.

Any ideas?

Try this in order:

1. Do a reset on the unit (holding the power button for about 20 seconds)

2. If that doesn't work, try running the Clear Flash tool found here. run it 3 times:
Using the Clear Flash tool to resolve TomTom device issues

3. If you've gotten here, try Restore to factory defaults. (You'll lose any custom settings but .....)

4. If none of the above work, you may have somehow gotten the application for the non-TTS version on your unit if you've done an update. Call support at 866-486-6866. They are open Saturdays.

Same Problem

I downloaded "Simon" computer voice. It says that it's on my device and it's on my computer ... but I can't find it on the device. I have the 340 XL and it says that I have TTS???? Help please. I've also reset to factory setting to start over. But it didn't help.

Thank you.

When you use Home, Manage my Device, Items on the Device, Voices, and it lists 'Simon', where does it say it is located?

(also try resetting your unit by holding the power button for about 20 seconds). See if that helps.

It says that it is on my Device and is located:

/volumes/INTERNAL/LoquencoTTS

Where the heck is that on my device? LOL. Thanks for your help.

It says that it is on my Device and is located:

/volumes/INTERNAL/LoquencoTTS

Where the heck is that on my device? LOL. Thanks for your help.

Hmm.......I presume you typed the location you showed above rather than copy and pasted since the same of the folder is really LoquendoTTS.

It turned out that my problem I mentioned above was an error in the manage my GPS app from the computer. Once I ran it by itself and not via the PC it showed the computer voices and the TTS worked. Sorry I did not reply sooner, was on vacation using the GPS :)

Ask a Question