hyundai tucson

Hey all

I hardwired my wife's tom tom in her Hyundai Tucson so since i just discovered this forum i thought i would snap a few pics

1)
this is everything i needed ( i did end up going with Velcro instead of wire ties it was easier)
2e503s4.jpg

2)
I cripped on a loop connector for the ground
296hw05.jpg

3)
I removed a bolt ( there always a few in the dash) and put the loop connector around it and bolted it back in
2sabhht.jpg

4)
I added the existing fuse and a spare fuse to the mini fuse splicer i found at advanced auto and then cripped that to the positive(red) wire
( this has a fuse, the cig addpeter has a inline tube fuse and the cig power supply has a fuse as well so i think were covered)
2dv030i.jpg

5)
Install the fuse splice, in this case i used the power for the emergency flashers figuring that 1) the always have power and 2) that its not 100% critical like headlights or abs
and yes the hazard lights still work
v8o2zt.jpg

6)
here is the entire packaged shoved in there
28j9x0h.jpg

7)
Here is a shot of what it looks like mounted (i need to hot glue down the cable along the side but its not going anywhere as it is)
23uzoye.jpg

I have done my VW Passat this way as well with some minor differences ( i have mine mounted much higher)

please feel free to ask questions or post comments

Very nice job! Does the power line stay hot all the time so that the TomTom receives juice even when the ignition switch is off?

yes

Yes but i switched it to a diffretn fuse i could have it only while the car is on

thats what i did in my VW with the Garmin i5 because that would turn on and off when power was applied

did notice in the last photo that the border needed weeding, but the tomtom looked good :)

That looks great! I think I will be doing the same very shortly in my new 2008 Elantra with my new Tomtom 930! :)

ok, i'm scare to death of anything electrical and know nothing about it especially in a car. i can splice a fuse and do it all with stuff purchased at an auto store? if you get the time can you please explain it as you would to a dummy, notably me. lol

Everything i used was in the first picture ( excluding my hands)

I wouldn't be afraid of shocking myself if thats what your worried about

the only thing i did make sure to do was make sure i had the Ground and Positive right so i didn't screw up anything

the "tip" of the cig lighter is the positive

the rim is ground

Everything i used was in the first picture ( excluding my hands)

I wouldn't be afraid of shocking myself if thats what your worried about

the only thing i did make sure to do was make sure i had the Ground and Positive right so i didn't screw up anything

the "tip" of the cig lighter is the positive

the rim is ground

Thanks. it took me a while to notice the briliant and simple setup.
You simply installed an additional hidden cig lighter where the tomtom can be plugged in. :).

I too have a VW (MK 4 Jetta) and i want to do something similar. wondering if you could take a couple pics of the fuse box or let me know where you put the adaptor. also, would it be possible to put the fuse splice in the fuse of the original lighter fuse? looking forward to your response.

Matt Nicholson

Thanks for the idea on this. I took my existing setup and putting the wires in the seams hid all of them for my XM and Tomtom. I couldn't find that fuse device. I ended up doing a scotch splice with the lighter recepticle wires. I have a very clean look now!

Mitch

Ask a Question