Hwy 14 SoCal

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd edition
I live in Ridgecrest, Ca. 93555 and want to go to Lancaster via highway 14.
My Tomtom insist that I take hwy 395 wich I do not want to do. How can I correct my tomtom? It absolutely refuses to recognize the 14 no matter what I do. Help me PLEASE! Thanks

What method are you selecting? Fastest or Shortest? There is a difference.

Also, once the route is planned, if you don't like it, you can select an Alternate and choose to travel by and select the road.

I've done that also. I've spent hours blocking all surrounding roads. It just takes me to way out of the way places to avoid the 14. It's as if the thing doesn't know the 14 exists, but the 14 has been here forever.

Perhaps, your map has a (faulty) mapshare that blocks the 14. Try using the option to remove ALL mapshares (in Home) and see how you are routed.

Do I do this with the machine connected to my PC?

I see it now, it's under Tools. Thanks, I'll let you know if that does anything.

Last edited:
Of what? The map? TomTom owns the map company (TeleAtlas).

You call call support at 866-486-6866 and explain the siuation. Have the support person go through the same steps as you have tried. Maybe, we're missing something .............

I don't know what version I have. I'm not at home right now to check. Is there a way to specifically install that version? I just got this thing for Christmas.

You have 30 days from first use to get the latest map guarantee. Check your version number by pressing the satellite bars. That shows the FIRMWARE version. Tap the version number and that shows the map and version installed.

I would connect using Home and check for the Latest Map Guarantee. NOW!

From the sounds of it, you may have just blown the opportunity to get the map (8.15) for free.

If it says you have the latest map, CALL Support at 866-486-6866.

You are REALLY cutting it close.

If you tap on the satellite bars on the lower right, then tap on the "version x.xxx" button on the next screen on the lower right, tomtom will give you a detailed version info screen.

After map, there will be a name then a number v###.####. The first 3 digits before the decimal is the map version (the remaining 4 specify which continent/country).

You can get 1 free map update within 30 days with the "Latest Map Guarantee". You are ineligible since you're over the 30 days if you got your tomtom on Christmas. But try out the guarantee in Tomtom home, you never know - it may work.

Otherwise, you'd have to buy a new map. They usually release a new one every 3 months or so.

The wife just told me to buy the new map, so I'm installing the $79.95 USA map.
Right now it's copying the 8.010 to my PC prior to deleting so I can't see what version I just bought. I sure hope this works.

Ask a Question