How useful is the bluetooth remote?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
For whatever reason, I just can't see how using a remote would be easier than tapping on a screen directly. I understand it's great for larger vehicles where the device would be further away, but is the remote really THAT simple to use that people love these things so much? I've been thinking on buying one but can't find any reasons to. I drive a Honda Civic, so the device is pretty close to me. So reach is not an issue.

The remotes seem expensive for as simple dinky as they look. How does it work? Do you navigate around the menus with the remote by pushing, for example "right" "right" "down" to get to an option? Is it the same for typing in an address? Just move the box/curser letter by letter?

I could see maybe this would be cool if I mounted it some way to my steering wheel which would be very easy. Is $50-$60 US dollar worth it for the remote? I've seen where others here have said they will NEVER turn back after using the remote, it's that good.

Please enlighten me.

I had a remote with my 910, and have one with my 920. Although I can reach out and touch my screen, I find that it is less distracting to use the remote - especially for controlling sound and other basic functions (like navigate to) while driving.

However, for some reason (cost reduction by TomTom probably), by going to a bluetooth operation, you cannot use it at the same time as bluetooth traffic data like I could do with the 910 remote.

Checking traffic and rerouting while using the remote is one of the 910 features I miss the most. Other then that, I believe you will find using the remote can be done while maintaining a better visual and mental connection to what is happening on the road as you operate your device.

However, for some reason (cost reduction by TomTom probably), by going to a bluetooth operation, you cannot use it at the same time as bluetooth traffic data like I could do with the 910 remote.
Some time ago someone on the UK forum asked if he would be able to use his 910 remote when he upgrades to a newer system.
The reply was that the 910 remote uses IR and could not be used on a bluetooth only device.

This may be the reason why you were able to use both functions simultaneously on your 910.

I was aware of that - just wasn't thinking about the impact on using traffic data services before I "upgraded". Wish TT had left it as it was...

In my opinion, the remote is not particularly useful in terms of GPS operation but sometimes I play mp3's through the FM transmitter and it is very useful for skipping forward or pausing tracks without interrupting GPS functions or display.

In my opinion, the remote is not particularly useful in terms of GPS operation but sometimes I play mp3's through the FM transmitter and it is very useful for skipping forward or pausing tracks without interrupting GPS functions or display.

My general likes the remote as she does the navagating when we are on long trips. :D

We both find it less distracting and easier than trying to touch the screen while on the move.

Well, try the TT in a large pickup...... :D

I prefer mounting the TT such that it is just to the left of my rear-view morror. That way, when I look in the mirror, the TT is in the same visual path as the mirror.

Now, DOING IT THIS WAY, it is difficult, and dangerous, to be jacking with tapping the screen and too easy to get TT tunnel vision and lose sight of the fact that one is still driving.....

In my case, the TT BT remote is great. It is intuitive, and allows on to manipulate the unit whilst NOT being too distracted.

In my case, it is beneficial and works well for my liking.

Just my $0.05.

Until all automakers decide putting the steering-wheel in the back seat, the remote control is pretty useless to me.

Until all automakers decide putting the steering-wheel in the back seat, the remote control is pretty useless to me.

This is what I'm thinking of the remote..useless... at least in my in my Civic.. I'd fear fumbling with the remove and having it fall between the seat and the center console, then I have to spend 30 min trying to fish it out. Again, that's just in my Civic though.. I'm sure it has its uses in larger vehicles, and like was mentioned, having someone else handle the tomtom with the remote :)

..useless... at least in my in my Civic.. [snip] I'm sure it has its uses in larger vehicles, and like was mentioned, having someone else handle the tomtom with the remote
Except for blizzards or glare ice I drive in an extremely relaxed position,
left arm on the window sill, right arm on the center arm rest.
Neither in my Taurus or SWMBO's Winstar would I be able to reach and tap safely.
I keep the remote in the arm rest and when I use it, with my right hand resting
on my thigh, the remote pointing towards the outside rear view mirror.

Keyboard entries via the remote are uncomfortable and I don't understand why
a passenger wouldn't just lift the device off its bracket and do the tapping in their lap.

Ask a Question