How useful are some of the higher end features?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
Thank you to all that answered my last question about TTS. Basically I am now waffling over money. Do I want a cheap basic model or a more expensive fancy model. I was looking at the 730 and am wondering how helpful the IQ routes and Advanced Lane Guidance are....as well as the Voice Address input.

My personal experience with the 930 leads me to believe that Voice Input is of little value (since it doesn't really work all that well) although the idea is great. I find that is more work than it is worth and I just give up and type in the address.

Advanced lane guidance is a little helpful if you are in an unfamiliar place (but the static images of freeway interchanges are not accurate enough to be really very helpful.) I usually find myself turning the lane images off or clicking them to make them go away.

The little lane guidance arrows that show up in the status bar are useful at times. I am not sure if that is part of Advanced Lane Guidance or if those arrows show up on all models or what.

Finally, IQ routes seems to be the most useful of the mentioned features (to me). I feel that the routing engine of a gps is the most important part and so far, I have been really impressed with the routes my 930 has given me.

I have been using it locally to route me to places I know very well how to get to and it never gives me anything unusual. The routing will change a little throughout the day based on historical traffic data. The arrival times are extremely accurate.

I would have a hard time giving up the IQ routes but Is it worth the extra money just for that feature?........ I think so.

Thank you to all that answered my last question about TTS. Basically I am now waffling over money. Do I want a cheap basic model or a more expensive fancy model. I was looking at the 730 and am wondering how helpful the IQ routes and Advanced Lane Guidance are....as well as the Voice Address input.

You don't give an indication of where you live and it can be important in your decision. Also remember that maps do not offer equal coverage over all North America or anywhere else either. IQ routing is better in large urban areas than smaller cities where the likelyhood of many TT users reporting highway data is rather low. As for static ALG images, there are not many areas covered.

OTOH, if you are likely to travel overseas and in need of additional maps, better get a model featuring the SD card slot. Higher end models feature larger much larger POI included database and could prove useful if you wander around without having planned your trip carefully. The larger maps of the 730 could help reassure you with the additional cosmetic details shown or could be of no importance depending on the type of person you are. For some, just the basic lines are sufficient and for others, they feel reassured the map fits better with the reality. Others just look for the next turn, its distance and time remaining.

If my XL-S was stolen tomorrow, I'd be looking hard at the clearance deals on the GO 720 from approved TT resellers. This would mean I could get the latest map and NavCore and provide the same functionalities as the 730 at a reasonable cost.

You don't give an indication of where you live and it can be important in your decision. Also remember that maps do not offer equal coverage over all North America or anywhere else either. IQ routing is better in large urban areas than smaller cities where the likelyhood of many TT users reporting highway data is rather low. As for static ALG images, there are not many areas covered.

OTOH, if you are likely to travel overseas and in need of additional maps, better get a model featuring the SD card slot. Higher end models feature larger much larger POI included database and could prove useful if you wander around without having planned your trip carefully. The larger maps of the 730 could help reassure you with the additional cosmetic details shown or could be of no importance depending on the type of person you are. For some, just the basic lines are sufficient and for others, they feel reassured the map fits better with the reality. Others just look for the next turn, its distance and time remaining.

If my XL-S was stolen tomorrow, I'd be looking hard at the clearance deals on the GO 720 from approved TT resellers. This would mean I could get the latest map and NavCore and provide the same functionalities as the 730 at a reasonable cost.

I live in a smaller city north of Denver and occasionally make trips into Denver, but usually to the same places that I already know. I was thinking that all the fancy stuff of the higher models wasn't really necessary myself, but I wanted to double check with people who have a TT already.

My experience traveling with a 910 in North America and in Europe is that the data behind some of the features is MUCH more complete in Europe. I have yet to see a display of the speed limit in NA, but it was there on some fairly small roads in Europe. I got lots of warnings of speed cameras in Europe. I can't speak to the 920 yet, but will be able to shortly. My 910 refused to take a charge and is being replaced/upgraded to a 920.

I have yet to see a display of the speed limit in NA, but it was there on some fairly small roads in Europe. ...

I can see speed limit in major roads.. very few speed limits in my city. So I started adding them to the map corrections.

A couple of other things that I would consider is if you do plan to travel overseas the hi end models comes with the C/W Europe map as well as N/A.

In my opinion one of the handiest features that come with the 920 or 930 is the remote, you might think it is a frivolous item but it is very handy. If you are on the move and you have a co-pilot that will operate the remote it is much easier and safer than trying to touch the screen while moving.

I think if you shoped around you could probably pick up a 920 for around 300 – 325

I just looked on the site where I bought my 920 last Feb and there temporary out of stock on the 920 but they have the top end
930T on for $379 at the moment.

http://www.compuplus.com

Last edited:
Without knowing your location and how much you travel the features may not be a benefit. I use my 930 for work and find every feature useful. But I drive alot. I use the handsfree when in DC where your not allowed to have a phone to your ear and can switch between my personal cell and work phone. The traffic information is so useful, even when it is not 100% accurate. It beats the surprise of traveling and/or wondering how long I'm stuck here or should I reroute. At least I can weigh options.

The IQ routing is great as I travel to other states frequently. The remote is handy even if traveling alone. Because its tactile you can just use your thumb rather than just trying to tap while driving. The 3 buttons a the bottom are a quick way to input information. It also helps if your tomtom is further away on your windshield and you don't have to reach over the dash if your trying to find something while going along the highway. I do think it helps in reducing the distraction of mistyping a letter.

The ipod control is handy when traveling through multiple states and hate trying to find different radio stations. Also having the voice over the car speakers helps with the road noise. (although the need to change the fm transmitter is a pain, but don't have to do it that often)

Voice navigation can be handy, but it is frustrating if there is too much noise or trying to get it to recognize house numbers. But if you just want to goof around with it it's neat. You can always use the remote to enter the information.

In the end you need to consider where you go and have often you need to go there. But I find these features have become indispensable. There was a time when text to speech didn't seem like a big deal, now I can't believe I ever had one that didn't. (the occasional mispronunciation of street names is entertainment in itself). I guess you can tell I'm on the road alot as I find the littlest things entertaining.

Finally, IQ routes seems to be the most useful of the mentioned features (to me).

The routing will change a little throughout the day based on historical traffic data.

As far as I have heard IQ routing does not depend on the time of day but only distinguishes between weekday and weekend. I imagine that IQ routing helps during rush hour times but will give the same route at say....1:00 am?; which could very likely not be the best route.

Ty for all the info.

It sounds like a lot of you that like the high end features drive a lot. Well, I don't drive too much, live in a small town (with once in awhile drives to other places), and have been overseas once in my life (want to go back, but who knows if I ever will).

So...I didn't feel like I needed a lot of those features, and with some other finances that NEED to be addressed, I went cheap and am getting a refurbed One XL from Amazon. There was also a rebate taking the total below $100.

As you know, they don't sell the 930 T in Canada and this week's advertised price
at Best Buys is CAD 449.00, 50.00 less than what I paid end of May.
I don't really expect large price drops until/if they offer the 940 or other HD models.

Ask a Question