How to update to latest map (Insufficient HD space)

Hello everyone, I am in the process of updating to the latest N.American map using the TT 30 days latest map guarantee. However after downloading the map TT Home said I do not have sufficient hard drive space for the installation.

What do I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Lee

In your other thread, I asked if you made an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to the download. Did you?

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. Do you see a North_America map folder with various files/folders in it?

Make a complete Explorer backup of the unit's contents now.

Once done, take a look at the 50+ cssppechxx.dat files in the NA map folder on your unit. Move to the computer in a folder any speech files for states you would never drive in (the TX file itself is about 40 megs+). Do that with as many speech files as you can for now.

In the licence folder on your unit, delete any files not showing EN_US in the file name.

Then try to do the install using Home and see if it works; if not, we can try something else.

Thanks for your prompt replies. I went ahead and ordered a 4Gig Micro SD card for my GPS. Do I still have to delete the files in order to load the latest map to the SD card?

If you are going to put the map on a 4-gig sdhc card, then there is no need to strip out any of the speech or any other files from the unit.

Just make sure when you put the card into the unit that when Home starts you select the sdhc card (external) for the map installation.

And then make an Explorer backup of the card's contents.

my questions relevent to this topic, so thought i'd use this thread to ask.

i'm rapidly running out of space on my internal memory (TT GO 930) so ive bought an 8gb sd card.

if i were to copy my map for western and central europe straight over to the sd card would i be able to completely delete the map from the internal memory, meaning i would have more space to play with on the TT itself.

thanks po

The answer is yes you could but double check that you have copied the entire map folder to the card before deleting the folder from the unit. Wouldn't hurt to copy the map folder to the computer too just to play safe.

Mind you, you HAVE made an explorer backup of your unit's contents, right? :D

Anyway, yes, the unit works fine with the map folder on a card.

thanks dhn

yes made a full back up already, and i have left copies of maps in a folder on the pc.(being extra cautious)
will delete the map now..

one more thing, i created a folder for mp3s on the sd card. to put audiobooks on the card would i need to create a folder "audiobooks"?

sorry for the noob questions!

Not silly questions at all. My understanding is that if the audiobooks are saved as mp3 format then they will be seen by the application if in the mp3 folder but that if in aa format, they have to be in the audiobooks folder.

This link from TT suggests the audiobooks SHOULD go into the audiobooks folder. If you don't have one, create it (all lower case) in either the unit or the sd card.

thanks for the help dhn

after a little playing around i found no way of putting an mp3 audiobook in the audiobook folder on the unit, or by creating a folder on the sd card.
i ended up putting the book in my mp3 folder on the sd card and it works perfectly ok.
is there any application that would let me change the format from mp3 to aa ?

You should be able to create the folder using Explorer and then use Explorer to copy the audiobook to the folder on the unit.

Just google 'aa to mp3 converter' and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of hits. I think audacity is one program that can convert. It's highly rated for what it does and the best thing about it is it is free!

just having a play with audacity now will let you know how i get on..

and thanks again you've been a great help

edit: had a try with audacity but came to the conclusion its easier to just put the books in the mp3 folder

Last edited:

Ask a Question