How to update 740tm with macbook pro

pep

I need to update my TomTom . Last time I updated in my macbook i lost everything. I had to re-do it with a pc. I do not have a pc anymore. Thanks

Can you not download Home for the Mac and update the tomtom that way?

I believe that;s how i got into trouble last time.
Works for most people, so let's take it one step at a time and see if we can't get you up and running. Would be a shame to have a TM model and not be able to get the map updates.

Start with the download of Home, run that and see if things appear to work normally (don't accept any updates yet - we'll want you to make a backup first) and we'll take it from there.

I dont have any tomtom software loaded on my mac. I had to delete all of it before since i had a problem.

I would say the first thing to do (even before you download Home again) is make a backup using the Mac's Finder.

Just connect the TomTom and the Mac should see it as a new disk drive. Select EVERYTHING on that drive, and paste it into a new folder somewhere safe on your computer.
(Call the container folder something meaningful like "TomTom backup {today's date}")

Next, you can download and install the Mac version of Home again and we can start from there, safe in the knowledge that you can retrieve and restore everything easily.

By the way, can you be sure to give us some more precise descriptions of any problems you have, as all we have to go on so far are your (rather vague) descriptions from last time....

"Last time I updated in my macbook i lost everything." - Lost what? Everything off the TomTom or everything off the Mac?
"I believe that;s how i got into trouble last time. " - What trouble?
"I had to delete all of it before since i had a problem. " - Why? What was happening?

Last time I went to update TomTom I lost everything that was on the TomTom Device- No Maps found it said.
That was the trouble I got in last time when I went to update from mac it lost all maps.
I deleted everything associated with tomtom on my mac.
I then used my pc to update.

OK... Do the backup I mentioned earlier.
Then you can download and install Home again and try it, safe in the knowledge that you can restore your backup if it all goes pear-shaped again.

On PC's there is a feature called "Safely remove hardware" that you should always use before disconnecting a USB storage device. Is there something similar on a Mac?

Last time I went to update TomTom I lost everything that was on the TomTom Device- No Maps found it said.
This time, we'll make sure we have you do that backup you keep hearing about BEFORE trying to update. And if your update aborts for some reason, we'll be sure that you delete your trash when you find that Apple has left you with no space on your unit to load the new map.

I think with a little work on your end, we can get things working the way you want them to.

Ask a Question