How to switch to internal memory on GO 720?

I have a GO 720 with U.S. maps on the internal memory. I recently purchased a 2 GB SD card, and downloaded the latest (9.15) European Central maps onto it. That works fine, and I can plot a route on it with no problem.

But now how do I switch back to the internal memory? I have selected the internal memory on the TomTom HOME "Device" menu, but it won't now recognize my home location, and only sees the European maps. However, there seems to be nothing wrong with the memory itself, since I can see the contents of both the internal and external drives when TomTom is plugged into my PC.

I assume from your IP that you're in the US, and had a North_America_2GB map loaded on internal.
It isn't typical that loading a map will cause it to appear if you were already on a different map when you started, but ..

If you go to "Change preferences" and hit the right arrow a couple of times, you will find "Switch map". That allows you to swap back and forth between your two map sets.

Thanks. That did it. They certainly bury their information deeply, and don't bother with providing much information in the instruction manual either. But you have fixed it.

That unfortunately says nothing about "internal" or "memory". It is useful only after you have found it otherwise.

It shouldn't say anything about 'internal or external memory', Jim. In fact, MANY of us keep ALL of our maps in 'external' memory. I have all 3 of my current maps for one of my units on the uSD card, and my trusty old 740 has both the US and Europe maps on its uSD card. A number of us prefer things that way. It's a question of where you put things.

It should if you are trying to find information in the manual. You are confusing that with your preferences on storing information, which can be anywhere you like (including an external hard drive). No wonder it is so difficult to use.

Perhaps missing the point. You don't switch between "internal" and "external" because there's no telling where a given user (or sometimes, even Home!) will put the map. That's why you have to "Switch map" instead.

That said... is the "Switch map" menu option anywhere to be seen in the manual? I don't have one for that model handy where I am now.

You are confusing that with your preferences on storing information, which can be anywhere you like (including an external hard drive).
Well I think TomTom actually uses expressions like device and SD card rather than internal and external.
I think we, who try to solve some problems, are using these more specific expressions to make sure that we are singing from the same song sheet. (Just like we are preaching to use [Windows] Explorer to make back ups for devices connected through HOME and then accidentally find out the OP actually clicked backup when prompted by HOME.)

As canderson said, TomTom rather sticks to the expression "Switch maps" which makes the action transparent to the end user. No matter where they are stored, they get switched.

I am not suggesting to try all but maybe you should scan through the 8 Settings screens to see what else is available.
After more then 5 years with my 930 I now still see some things here I never tried as a was comfortable with the way is always worked for me.

You will find "switch map" on page 53, but only if you look on page 53. The purpose of a search function is to make subjects easier to find. The do indeed have the option for both internal and external memory, and given the limitation of the internal memory, the external memory is commonly used. They could easily put a reference to it in the manual, but they choose not to. That is their business decision, though not necessarily a good one.

I don't know but when I type switch map at Ctrl+F in the manual
http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/device/gox20/gox20-en-GB.pdf
it jumps right to page 53.

As far as a 6 year old business model is concerned, I don't know if switching maps was foremost on their minds.
Different story for my 930, which a year later came with North American and the European map.

I have no comparison to a 720 but on my 930 when I tap the main screen it shows Change preferences and when I tap that and go to the Preferences 2 of 8 screen it shows Switch map.

@Arno
FWIW:
The 920 came out before your 930, and it also had both N.A. and European maps.

Ask a Question