How-to Show road you're on, while navigating to a destination

This comes from Nextourer. I just wrote it out to be easier to follow.

Stock Menu:

Navigate your TomTom to Change Preferences then Safety Preferences and enable safety lock:
enable_lock.jpg

You will get a message like this:
enable_lock_confirmed.jpg

Click Continue and you will go to the next screen for your options:
turn_map_off-on_options.jpg

I chose Always in case I'm in traffic.

Then click Done and your display will look something like this:
disable_map_display.jpg

To return to regular nav mode click your screen in the map area and navigate your TomTom to Change Preferences then Safety Preferences and disable safety lock:
disable_lock.jpg

Then choose Never
turn_map_never.jpg

Click Done and your display should return to something like this:
street_nav.jpg

Custom Menu:

If you have a custom menu on your TomTom make sure you add the icon labled Map on/off. I had to re-edit my menu with TomTom Menu Designer to add it. Thank you Greg

Then navigate to Turn off map display and click the icon:
turn_map_off-on.jpg

Choose your setting and click Done:
turn_map_off-on_options.jpg

I chose Always incase I'm in traffic.

Your display should look something like this:
disable_map_display.jpg

To return to regular nav mode click your screen in the map area and navigate your TomTom to Turn on map display
custom_menu_5-5.jpg

Your display should return to something like this:
street_nav.jpg

Clearly the custom menu does this a lot quicker....

I don't think you need to enable safety lock. You can by pass that screen and go straight to the Turn off Map Display screen.

Hmmmm... well I tried the steps and in the first part of it, it indeed did show what street I was on. But when I did that last half of the steps it went back to "normal" mode... showing the name of the next street to turn on at the top and bottom

Am I supposed to see the street to turn on the top and current street I am on at the bottom?

Last edited:
Ah... I think I understand you now
This wasn't a 'one time' thing. The directions show you how to get your current sreet one the bottom with next turn on top. It stays that way until you want to go backk to what I call 'normal nav mode'

To get back to the 'live scrolling map' follow the instruction after the red text.
To return to regular nav mode

Make better sence?

Ahhh... so you can't have the live scrolling AND the name of the street that you are on. It's either live scrolling and next turn at the top and bottom OR a "static" map with next turn at the top and street you are on at the bottom.

B.T.W. Any particular reason that there might be next street turn at top AND bottom?

Is this a preference issue? Can that be turned on or off?
Thanks

Ahhh... so you can't have the live scrolling AND the name of the street that you are on. It's either live scrolling and next turn at the top and bottom OR a "static" map with next turn at the top and street you are on at the bottom.
yes. Put that way is much easier to understand. thanks!!

I don't think I understand your other question....

B.T.W. Any particular reason that there might be next street turn at top AND bottom?
I suppose if your current street turns at an intersection it might show up tha way....

Is this a preference issue? Can that be turned on or off?
Yes. In the Change Preferences go to Status bar preferences....

On the menu program (thanks again, Greg), is there a "Safety Preferences" icon, or do you know what the function name is (i.e. TASK_xxx) to add. I guess it could be under another one of the menu options, but I am having a hard time finding it. I know I can just remove the mnu file temp, but I have been tinkering with the turn on off map over a certain speed.

glad to hear it. I know my instructions are a little long hard to follow the first read through, but you have to realize I had it all done once, which took some time. But when i hit Post, I discovered that I timed out. (which must be new) so I had to start all over again. Not to mention that I was litterally up all night REDOing it. But at least now it's hear for anyone...

Hey battom, I hope tomtom pays you. You are better at supporting their product than their support page process. I imagine though, they are swamped with after Christmas newbies. Thanks again for helping all of us out, on this feature. I returned my Megellan, just after Christmas to get the TT. It had this feature as default, but overall I prefere the TomTom's functionality much, much better. Finding this site has proven to be a gold mine. I am especially empressed by all the tweeks that are possible (many of them, you seem to have a hand in).

Intially, I switched because the maps were upgradable, which dollar for dollar, was something the others seem to lack.

Anyway - thanks again.

I found this site on a google search, and it is a goldmine. Yournav.com is good too but this one, to me is better as its catered to TomTom only. Less stuff to weed through.

I have not (yet) made any thirdparty software for the TomTom. However I do like to "play" with "extras". And I've used just about all I can find so far, and I understand the frustrations of not getting something cool to work or questions about how it works. The people that have already made the software are great. They deserve all the credit.

My payment is sharing what I have figured out and stopping someone else from pulling their hair out trying to get answers.

I've owned my ONE v2 for 24 days, have used it on a 1200 mile trip already, and installed, played with, and kept some great 3rd-party software. I'm fairly confident I know my way around this device now. I'm no expert, but I try to be thorough. :)

Ask a Question