How To Search for Exits?

When traveling, the map shows exits approaching with text scrolling by. So the TomTom knows these exits. But why can't I search them in the addresses?

In both Garmin and Magellan, you type in the city, then simply the exit number in the street field, and your done. In the TomTom, you get nothing, except occasionally, the odd exit---but it's a very incomplete database.

Anyone know if there's an alternate way to find these exits?

(For anyone wondering why, many restaurants, Truck stops, etc. list their location on a billboard or advertisement as "I-10, Exit 115" for example.)

Nailit
I'm asking TomTom if this is possible and if so how.
I don't know how to do this but let's see if we can shine some light here.

Pedro

battam,

I've tried that too. Exits aren't listed. If I can't solve this, I may have to return the 910 as searching exits is one of the main things I do when we're searching for RV dumps at truck stops etc.

don't return!!! the TomTom is too much fun! Just put in a request for certain highways and I'm sure Pedro will painstakingly create you a POI of exit numbers.... there' always a way with TomTom. With Garmin, if it's not on the device, you'll never get it. with TomTom- there's always a way. it may take some doing, but there is ALWAYS a way.

PS... it's battOm - instead of 'tomtom' battom (cuz batbat just sounds silly) :D

battom,

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying, which, as you can see, is a major flaw in the navigation database. I mean, some businesses ONLY list their address this way, and so far with the TomTom, I haven't been able to find one yet that I've needed to.

Nothing fun about a $500 gadget that does everything except what it's supposed to do. :)

Try these major business exits. I randomly chose them, and can't find one in the new map update:

Lubbock, TX
I-27, Exit 4

Orange TX
I-10 Exit 873 (note how it lists a couple exits randomly...??)

Waddy, KY
I-64, Exit 43

Temple, GA
I-20, Exit 19

Sorry guys Im late to see this post.
I was sick last night and didn't get a chance to check out the forums.
bobaloolie,
TomTom did respond to me letting me know they don't currently offer this option.
If you're using this to search for RV dump sites, would a rv dump site POI be helpful than using a POI for all exit numbers? You will be able to navigate to the nears dump site POI.
I believe there is a dump site POI already made here in the forum.
If not, let me us know how else we can help.

I understand.
We'll try and help make things easier. just let us know what you need, and a POI might be help.

Hi Bobaloolie.
I'm intrigued by your 'Search for Exits' obsession.
For the fun of it I tried MS S&T 2007 and Garmin Metroguide, both use NavTeq, and both show the exits you mentioned - but no way I could search for them (I found them by browsing the map, and that was on a 17" PC).
I would try some of my friends' Garmin portable GPS to see if they do what you're saying.

Heh, heh

I thought EVERBODY searched for exits here and there. But I guess not. As an RV'er, we are constantly looking for exits, either to sleep overnight or find dumps (the RV Dump POI database was very helpful, by the way -- thanks!)

Now, when you search, it depends how you type it in. In the Carin, you just typed the number when asked for the street. In the Garmin (at least the Nuvi's), you just type in the number again. And the same for the Magellan products. In each case, you CAN search for the exit. If I'm not mistaken, you may have to in some cases do it as a search by "intersection" (enter the interstate or highway, and then type in the exit number (eg. "178).

Note, in the TomTom, you can type either the number, or "Exit #". As I mentioned, the occasional exit does pop up. Not sure why it's not a complete exit database.

Ask a Question