How to restore blocked XL?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I recently updated the maps on my XL, but during the install process my net connection went dodgy and finally the installation finished with the note that "Some functions may be lost" Yeah, like all of them.
Try to set a route, got as far as tapping City Centre, and everything stopped, nothing responded.
In desperation I went on the TomTom site and tried operating the thing from the screen.
Miracle! Apart from the fact that it would not accept input from the computer keyboard, it worked.
Miracle of miracles! The thing now works normally.
Coincidence, or what?::)

Actually... quite normal! :)

But I'm assuming when you said "I went on the TomTom site and tried operating the thing from the screen" you meant you ran the TomTom "Home" program on your PC. I don't know of anyway to run the device from their website.

What this does (espacially if you save a new Favourite or enter a new destination) is re-write a file called MapSettings.cfg to the format needed by the new software/maps.

That file contains a lot of your personal settings and destinations and quite often an "old" version of that file will cause the device to re-boot constantly when you switch it on.
Doing just what you did can usually fix the problem.

Well done for finding it on your own!
(but you're obviously not reading enough forum posts! Your homework for tonight is to read the entire "XL" section of the forum, and we'll test you tomorrow! :))

Totally different set of circumstances though, mate...

You were trying to download a new map, here we are just using the on-screen emulator in Home.

Ask a Question